• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Does Anyone Know The Proper Way To Use the RCEXL Ingition Hall Sensor Test Kit?

bob_nj

70cc twin V2
Test Kit Link

Wondering if anyone here has practical experience using the RCEXL Hall Sensor Test Kit?

I am trying to time my DLE engine at 28°
I can't do it by firing the plug because it needs to spin too fast, and I can't get an accurate reading.

I know there's a way to do it using the test kit, so here is the question.

Looking at the front of the plane, and turning the crankshaft CCW (Direction of engine rotation) the sensor starts to beep, beeps for 20° and then stops beeping.

Is the timing set at the start of the beep, or the end of the beep?

Thanks
Bob

O

Ohio AV8TOR

Bob sorry I have no practical experience with it but I believe to answer your question it has to be at the start of the beep.  The beep is just simulating when the hall sensor triggers the stark at that "is" the timing.  The ignition delivers the spark instantly when the hall sensor is triggered not delayed through the pass of the hall sensor which is what I believe you are referring to at the end of the beep.  

bob_nj

70cc twin V2
I'm hoping that Jodi is still on the board and will chime in.

I found a quote from an old post on another site that states the timing is set "after" the beep stops.

I won't post the link for obvious reasons.

Yes it reads 55 degrees when the test light comes on but as you continue to rotate through, the magnet light goes off at 32 deg. That is when ignition fires. So Its not timed at 55 degrees advanced. it is at 32 degrees. Right where it should be......

You out there Jodi...

Thanks for the reply

Bob

bob_nj

70cc twin V2
Thanks, but I'm not having trouble with top dead center.

My question is on using the tester sold by RCXCEL.

Take care

Bob 

That is correct, Bob......

When the Light goes off/Beep quits....  that is where the plug would fire......

N726AC

70cc twin V2
bob_nj said
Thanks, but I'm not having trouble with top dead center.

My question is on using the tester sold by RCXCEL.

Take care

Bob 
Okay, thought you were trying to time an engine. 
icon_wink.gif

bob_nj

70cc twin V2
I am timing an engine, but my question was on how to interpret the beeps on the test kit.

Take care

Bob

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
this is a job for....da da da daaaa....advanced user tagging.....

@Jedijody;  if you're out there and can help, please chime in with the info.  thanks!

Advanced user tagging explained

http://giantscalenews.com/sp-forum/new-forum-tips-and-tricks/user-tagging-mention-friends-threads

Bart

O

Ohio AV8TOR

@user pretty cool and with a pull down menu.  A great post use for it too.