• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DLE 35RA Muffler bolts

wfahey415

3DRCF Moderator
Didn't last unfortunately. :mad: Used the red permatex on both surfaces. Attached the parts together until the two parts just touched. Waited an hour then tightened everything down. I did a small turn on each bolt to gradually bring the muffler to the exhaust port. I used split ring lock washers and also used the red permatex on the bolt threads. Next option is to use the same procedure but use red Loctite the thread or put a lock nut on as well. (Not sure if a locknut will fit between the fins. I did feel the end of the crank and it was not overly hot so I don't think it was an over heating issue.

Option B: Valley View 40cc twin when they get them back in stock. :bouncy: (wife's idea sorta. She suggested trying a new motor. Bipenut suggested the VV40 twin) I have the time as I am rebuilding the landing gear after ripping it out on a dead stick landing into the tall grass.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Maybe try cleaning the bolt threads and the cylinder threads really good with brake cleaner or something equivalent? I didn't use any locktite, just nordlock washers. I am planning on going to the field with my new cowling this evening, played around with baffling a bit, we'll see how it holds up! When I added my red RTV to the muffler flange, I didn't wait.

I almost got the VVRC40cc, but they've been out of stock for a while... many months. The scuttle-but is that they are making an updated version with minor changes, mainly to help starting them easier? Anyways... I went with the DA35 because they have been out of stock.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I thought about the threads not being clean as a possible problem. Also, I'm not sure what the big difference is but I think the copper filled rtv holds better. Worth the $8 for a tube of it.

wfahey415

3DRCF Moderator
I thought about the threads not being clean as a possible problem. Also, I'm not sure what the big difference is but I think the copper filled rtv holds better. Worth the $8 for a tube of it.

I thought about that yesterday. I'm flying the YAK today and it has a 55RA. Muffler install was done the same as above. Let's see if it holds up. If not, I will get the copper filled and try that. In the mean time it looks like I should invest in a case of bolts. :cursing:

Nalby

50cc
I use the copper on all my mufflers. What works for me is I put the copper on the muffler then put the muffler on the engine while it's still wet, I also put the copper on the bolts then tighten everything down real tight. I haven't had any of the mufflers come lose dle20,dle35ra,da50,eme60,gp61,gp123. In fact I went to change the pitts to a canister on the gp61 and I had a hard time getting the muffler off ( it was glued on good )

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Copper RTV seems like a cheap, readily available method.

DNA is a pretty mild alcohol IMO, MEK works the best... but is nasty stuff. Brake clean is 50% Acetone, but also has Toluene which is also pretty nasty stuff... so wear gloves. Acetone is my fav, It is the best cleaner for aluminum, I always have a gallon of this stuff. The nice thing about brake clean is that it is in an aerosol can, and you can blast the oils off of the threads, plus it dries fast. Just don't be stupid like most folks and get chemical resistant gloves. The disposable gloves cannot resist some chemicals (like MEK) and you will still get the chemical on your hands regardless. I'll get of my soapbox now. ha

Here is where I got the nordlocks:
http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Vib...m_p/a19282.htm

Last edited by a moderator: