• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DLE-30 Dies When Inverted

I saw your video when I was doing research into my issue. Sorry you weren't able to get it resolved. I congratulate you on your perseverance.

Your issue is a bit different from mine. I'm able to roll the plane over while on the ground and the engine runs fine. My issue only comes up when I'm in the air.

After I did the mods as detailed in post #26 above I ran about half a tank through the engine while in my driveway. It ran well, just like it always has in my driveway. The weather looks to be decent on Sunday so I'm hoping to get it in the air and go inverted.

The only remaining mod I have planned is to replace my three line tank with a two line tank in case my supply clunk is getting tangled up with my fill/drain clunk. One of the older guys in my club has a lot invested in this theory, though I'm convinced the tank is fine (after rebuilding it for the fourth time). If that doesn't work, I'll probably sell off this engine to another guy in my club who already made me an offer and I'll start looking at another power plant other than the DLE-30. I'd really rather fly than mod. But I ain't giving up on it just yet! :D

Marc

Good luck! I hope it works for you! If it does not the dle 35 or the osgt33 are both great motors!

SnowDog

I have all three of those motors...the DLE-30, the DLE-35 and the GT-33. The DLE-30 runs fine, the DLE-35 is still NIB, and the GT-33 has been in three different airframes of mine...runs solid and quiet! (still starts backwards though) :|

Good luck! I hope it works for you! If it does not the dle 35 or the osgt33 are both great motors!

I have all three of those motors...the DLE-30, the DLE-35 and the GT-33. The DLE-30 runs fine, the DLE-35 is still NIB, and the GT-33 has been in three different airframes of mine...runs solid and quiet! (still starts backwards though) :|

My DLE-30 actually runs plenty good and strong for my style of flying. I'll be singing its praises if I can just keep it running while inverted in the air. But if I can't get it resolved, I'm probably headed towards the GT-33 as my next attempt to get this airframe flying. I've read quite a few posts about it starting backwards sometimes but that's nothing that an opto-kill/restart won't fix. :rolleyes:

While visiting a neighboring club about a month ago I saw first hand a guy flying this airframe with a GT-33. I assume the mounting hole pattern is different and I'll have to buy/make some custom standoffs?

Marc

m0dest

30cc
The dying while inverted issue won't go away, unless you are on that throttle and don't roll over from inverted while at idle. Inverted to up line is fine, just not inverted harrier to rollers.

Did the reed valve mod, removed the filter, fortitude tank, good vent line yada yada...
Only ethanol free 92 octane, redline 40:1

Unfortunately this same issue kept me from flying my Edge the last 2 months before I sold it. I was waiting on the elusive DA35 to be released but sold the plane before I got a chance to throw another motor on it.

That said, flown the right way, the DLE30 was a happy little beast of an engine once it was tuned right.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
I wish I knew more about this issue, and why it only effects some engines.
In every 30cc review we've done so far, it's my DLE30, and it's never died in flight....

The dying while inverted issue won't go away, unless you are on that throttle and don't roll over from inverted while at idle. Inverted to up line is fine, just not inverted harrier to rollers. ...

I wish I knew more about this issue, and why it only effects some engines.
In every 30cc review we've done so far, it's my DLE30, and it's never died in flight....

Thanks for the input guys. I went to the field today to try out my modifications. The "executive summary" is that the engine still dies when inverted. You can read below for the details.

I got to field today with the plane and modifications as shown in post #26 above. It started easy (as it always does). I let it warm up for a few minutes and then held the plane inverted while my wife operated the throttle at different settings. My wife was my safety watch today since nobody else was at the field. :D The engine ran fine while holding it inverted (as it always does).

1st flight: Took off. Half roll to inverted. Engine died after 30-40 seconds.
2nd flight: Removed cowl. Took off. Half roll to inverted. Engine died after 30-40 seconds.
3rd flight: Replaced 3 line tank plumbing with 2 line tank plumbing. Took off. Half roll to inverted. Engine died after maybe a minute.
4th flight: Did some "tuning". Took off. Half roll to inverted. Engine died after maybe a minute. My luck ran out on dead stick landings and I missed the runway. Damage was two fuselage formers busted and left wing leading edge dented in one spot and two ribs in that wing busted. All repairable and the plane was still flyable.
5th flight through 12th flight: Did more "tuning". Took off. Half roll to inverted. Engine died each time after 30 to maybe 60 seconds. Made the runway and a safe landing on each of these dead sticks.

My enthusiasm for the hobby, and internal combustion in particular, is spent for the weekend. I'll go back to flying my smaller electrics for a few weeks to give myself some time to think about what I'm going to do next with this airframe. I like to fly low, slow and inverted and I can't do it with this DLE-30. And I'm not thrilled about spending $420 on the OS GT-33 when I could end up with the same situation.

Sorry for being a downer. I hope everyone else is having fun! ;)

Marc