• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Desert Aircraft Owners

I had a similar thing happen with an EF Extra 300 91".
My little girl, she was about 1 years of age, i had left my transmitter (JR 9503) next to my computer. When i got home, i saw the transmitter on the floor with the antenna laying to the side. I opened up the transmitter, and soldered it back together. Then i totally forgot about it. One week later, I go to the club, and did not do a range check. I take my airplane off, and immediately once it got airborne, it went into fail safe mode!!!
The airplane flew over a lake, and at a very low speed, went into a tree, then it came down, and landed on top of a cow. This is what it looked like when we got to the cow pasture...
IMG_3376.JPG
IMG_3377.JPG

There was some damage to the wings and stabs, and the landing gear. But otherwise, the fuselage was intact.

this is what it looked like when i gutted it. I ordered new wings/stabs/canopy/prop, and i sent the Tx to HH, all was good and she was back in the air. Can you believe, i have since sold this airplane, and someone else still has it!! this was about 4 years ago.

IMG_3380.JPG
IMG_3381.JPG

Extreme Flight makes some strong airframes.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
TNT!!

71 dollars

much more durable than CF.

http://www.tntlandinggear.com/more_landing_gear.htm

I put these on mine as well. They are a little wide but will last more than the rest of the life of the airplane I'm sure so I'm happy!!! The stock ones are a bit thin and bend / twist really easy, seen quite a few broken right where the axle connects. Also, replacement cuffs for the Hangar-9 35% Extra fit the TNT gear nicely.

Attachments

• _DSC8724.JPG
    _DSC8724.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 309
  • _DSC8885.JPG
    _DSC8885.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 348

Phil.Griffin

70cc twin V2
I put these on mine as well. They are a little wide but will last more than the rest of the life of the airplane I'm sure so I'm happy!!! The stock ones are a bit thin and bend / twist really easy, seen quite a few broken right where the axle connects. Also, replacement cuffs for the Hangar-9 35% Extra fit the TNT gear nicely.
Thanks Guys.
I bought a set from them as well. Just thought there might be an alternate source .

fencelake

70cc twin V2
I just maidened my new plane with a DA-120 that also was it's first start. I've had 6 flights at about 6 - 7 minutes a piece on it now, and it runs great, transitions great... everything's fine. The only thing is that when I'm finished flying I notice there is some oil splatters from the exhaust on the landing gear and bottom of the fuselage. I figure it's running a little rich, but since the engine is brand new I didn't see this as a problem. Any thoughts? Should I tweak the mixture or just wait until a few more flights?

Phil.Griffin

70cc twin V2
I have that same oil on all of my planes. I figure I could absolutely tune it out if so desired. But what I've found over the years is, engines that are slightly rich don't quit near as much as engines that are too lean. I'll put up with changing the plugs more frequently, although I've not found that to be an issue very often. I will also tell you that my engine skills leave a lot to be desired. Generally, when I have one that is running reliably, I leave it alone. I'm not a continual needle tweaker.

fencelake

70cc twin V2
I have that same oil on all of my planes. I figure I could absolutely tune it out if so desired. But what I've found over the years is, engines that are slightly rich don't quit near as much as engines that are too lean. I'll put up with changing the plugs more frequently, although I've not found that to be an issue very often. I will also tell you that my engine skills leave a lot to be desired. Generally, when I have one that is running reliably, I leave it alone. I'm not a continual needle tweaker.

Same here. I agree with you. My DLE 55 was brand new when I bought it and I've only turned the mixture 1/8 of a turn one time. My DA is running great, and I just want to make sure it's not a problem, but I really hate to mess with it.

ryan_m

100cc
I just maidened my new plane with a DA-120 that also was it's first start. I've had 6 flights at about 6 - 7 minutes a piece on it now, and it runs great, transitions great... everything's fine. The only thing is that when I'm finished flying I notice there is some oil splatters from the exhaust on the landing gear and bottom of the fuselage. I figure it's running a little rich, but since the engine is brand new I didn't see this as a problem. Any thoughts? Should I tweak the mixture or just wait until a few more flights?

First new motor? Black stuff and splatters are quite normal for a new motor. Until the motor is good and broken in expect that to continue, though it will get less and less. First 2-4 gallons are the worst. I've also seen it said many times that gas is not like glow. Just because a motor is brand new you don't want to run it rich. It will only serve to foul the plug and cause poor running. Not that too lean is good either. Like Phil Griffin said above, I would rather err slightly on the side of too rich (very very slightly though) than too lean though. But not super rich where your plugs are blackened when you pull them out for an inspection. If you want extra protection on a new gas engine then run the mixture at 30:1 instead of 40:1 or something, but don't run the engine extra rich.

fencelake

70cc twin V2
This is my first new DA. I have a DLE 55, and a DLE 30, which on the 55 have ran for over a year, and only turned the mixture 1/8 of a turn from factory settings.

So with regards to my DA, just leave it at factory for now unless the plugs are black? I'm running 32:1 on fuel.