• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Dalton Yak 54, 38% please submit suggestions here....

All the servos are connected. All i need to do now is install the telemetry sensors, and find areas to install the receivers/antennas. DO not know where the batteries will be?? SO for now, there will be no specific installation area yet. The aileron servos plug into the side of the fuselage with this MPX plug from TAILDRAGGER RC.

IMG_8524.JPG
IMG_8525.JPG

Well, this will be my biggest challenge, and that will be, to prime this, smooth it all out, then paint it. Not looking forward to this step, as this is by far the most difficult part. This part alone will take me months.

I am referring to painting the cowl and the canopy/hatch.

IMG_8526.JPG
IMG_8527.JPG

I just turned on the da 200
and I am using 4 temp sensors, one per cylinder.

I cranked her up, and did not take long for her to start purring!! Very fast to start!
Sounded great.

OK, once she warmed up, the front cylinders are 30 to 50 degrees cooler than the rear cylinders. This is based off the telemetry sensors, and with no cowl or shroud on.

range was 180 to 240 among all 4 cylinders, with higher temps in rear 2 cylinders..

I also checked the cylinder temp on telemetry and compared to the IR, and temp was within 5 degrees.

I also checked the temp of the header using the IR gun, as pictured , and this had a temp of 200 F.

the temp of the canister was 105 to 110 F.

pretty cool!!

these temps were taken while the motor was running.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the temps once the cowl is on, and with the shroud in place!! Also, I will check the temps with everything on and compare to these as well as to in the air. Should be good.

today, Ambient temp was about 92 degrees.

IMG_8533.JPG
IMG_8534.JPG
IMG_8535.JPG

Good news, started to prime and fill gaps with the canopy! so far so good. once this dries, then lightly sand it down. How long would you wait before sanding and applying next coat of primer?

IMG_8536.JPG
IMG_8537.JPG

this is after sanding the 2nd coat of primer, and filling with putty, then re-sanding. Real PITA!!!
But, patience is key to get a good result. DO not even think about painting this until this is acceptable. key word being patience and perseverance.

IMG_8541.JPG
IMG_8542.JPG

it is definitely better than last time, here you can see a little tiny crevice. this has to be filled and sanded smooth. IS it just me, or am I the only one who gets this problem??

IMG_8543.JPG
IMG_8544.JPG

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
One of the problems could be your red spot putty. I take it that's just a single part red putty in a tube? If so it's lacquer based and very prone to shrinkage. A two part polyester glaze would work better and be more durable. It is a little harder to sand, but fills much better and doesn't shrink like the red spot putty.

There are several good brands, but any pourable polyester glaze would do. My favorite is called Dolphin Glaze made by U-Pol.

Success!!!!
or, should i say: "TOUCHDOWN!!!!"

here is what i did!:

I got me some of this, and applied it to the areas, and waited 1 hour, then sanded it smooth.

IMG_8546.JPG

this is after applying it, before sanding it down.
IMG_8545.JPG

Then i got this out:
IMG_8552.JPG

mixed it and also used the reducer for it. Then, i used a 120 sanding block, and sanded down all 3 (cowl top, bottom, canopy), then I wiped all the dust down with cotton and denatured alcohol. then i changed out the workbench cover, and rewiped it down. I also did some shop vac around the area, to remove as much dust as possible. I also cleaned my arms, and put on the mask to spray with.

You need to protect yourself with this stuff! it is epoxy, and the particles are so small, they can get into your lungs!

IMG_8547.JPG
IMG_8548.JPG
IMG_8549.JPG
IMG_8550.JPG
IMG_8551.JPG