• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DA-70 and Plane Bender Smooth Pipes

Bdegan

50cc
Ohio AV8TOR;9833 wrote: This is a nice setup that I saw. I sure wish one was available for the VVRC40 too.

D8218FBB-A664-4AD9-8654-622AC7F054ED-2088-000002C8D4A8C9EA_zps1966e78f.jpg
Lorne at Pro-RC.ca said he was going to try and get me a 2 into 1 header. I have a some different exhaust available to me to test out.

Large Pro flow can. Medium pro flow can. Large smooth pipe. RE-2.

in my talking with Plane Bender. He thinks a medium can or medium pipe might be too restrictive on the 70 twin.

70 cc ' s is pushing the upper limits of of what we run on 55 and 60 cc singles. Might with longer header lengths.

But he feels the larger volume cans and pipes would work bests.

Bdegan

50cc
I will leave the motor on the stand until you get back.

Then we can try your 26x8, 24x10th, and 22x12 3-blade :fist-pump-and-yes-s

Bdegan

50cc
ericb;9827 wrote: Sounds good. I will be watching with anticipation. I was thinking a light 100CC'ish airframe might be a good candidate for this setup.

TBrum and myself were almost going to bring our last builds to Toledo last spring.

TBrum ' s big Carden Time Machine and my Hyperlite Slick. But we couldn't commit to the entire weekend.

But we are starting to plan Nall next year ;)

tbrum

New to GSN!
We really missed Nall this year! Hopefully 2015 :):)

Can't wait to see the airframe that'll try to hold back this piped 70!!

Hi Brad, I guess I have been asleep with this thread going. New to the site and the navigation needed.

Good Job on the test Video. The DA-70 is a great little engine and the power output and smooth transition Using the Smooth pipes really makes it a winner. So you are at a 8.5" header with a 1/4" gap? I would continue to decrease length until transition becomes "Peaky". You can always pull apart assembly to re increase length. Thank You Again Brad!

Dave

Bdegan

50cc
Hi Dave,

Yeah...... I will go shorter LOL

But I don't think the motor needs more power at this point. The added power comes at a price.

At 7500 on the ground. It will unload another 1000 in the air.

I would like Desert Aircraft to chime in here. Can the motor withstand regular runs up above 8500.

Its at the point now it needs to be propped up. I'm already spinning that 25x8 wide really good.

TBrum had a 26x8 I am going to try next week after he gets back from vacation.

Increasing prop size will also increase engine load, and heat.

It's all great to be able to boost the power and do it. But I don't feel like gernading an engine.

Unless DA says go for it in the name of science and will back the engine.

Because I am starting to use it beyond its intended purpose :shaking-hands-smile

Hi Brad, I agree. Those RPMs have got to be reaching a limit and I think DA will agree. I think a higher load prop (When the engine is broken in) is in order. For now just have to demonstrate throttle control. However! I believe that when using a 7-7.5" Header

a 750 RPM Gain is an accurate assessment.

Dave