• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

DA-150, any advice when buying used?

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I didn't mean to stir up a mess for DA. I've only seen them mentioned once but I just looked at a used engine online and it looked beat up which made me suspicious.
Maybe some good info here would put the issue to bed?

Robotech

70cc twin V2
I didn't mean to stir up a mess for DA. I've only seen them mentioned once but I just looked at a used engine online and it looked beat up which made me suspicious.
IIRC the drone engine S/N will start with a "G".

Phil.Griffin

70cc twin V2
but what do you look for to avoid buying a lesser quality engine like a drone engine.
Years back, there was a fellow on Giants selling lots of the Government DA engines. I've no clue where he was getting them, but suspect he had some access to a test range where lots (and I do mean lots) were being shot down. I spoke with him once and he had sold several hundred. At that time, one of the ways these engines were being identified was by "G" prefix in the serial number. I would steer clear of these for obvious reason, not the least of which is, DA will not touch them if you need help, repairs etc..

Phil.Griffin

70cc twin V2
I don't think you're stirring anything up for DA. They'll just tell you flat out they won't touch them.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
them telling me they won't work on it after I've already bought it isn't how I want this story to play out.

comments here from DA mentioned that the metallurgy of the drone engines is different and of lesser quality so it isn't just the job they've done that makes them undesirable.

Phil.Griffin

70cc twin V2
them telling me they won't work on it after I've already bought it isn't how I want this story to play out.

comments here from DA mentioned that the metallurgy of the drone engines is different and of lesser quality so it isn't just the job they've done that makes them undesirable.

There may very well be material differences in construction since, in my very limited knowledge of these things Im thinking they're basically intended for very short lives. Many people bought these, and were caught unawares regarding DA's position. I very nearly bought one myself.

Islandflyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I bought a used 150 last year on line, and it is a power house!
As said above, stay away from engines with serial numbers beginning with G: DA will not service them.
I bought mine from an IMAC competitor who moved up to a DA-200.
Before buying, I talked to the buyer, and asked the history of the engine, and why he was selling.
In the end, when you don't buy new, you always take a chance, not knowing for sure how the equipment was treated prior tot he sale.
This goes for anything you buy used: you have to asses the credibility of the seller...

Phil.Griffin

70cc twin V2
When I sell a DA engine, I send it back to DA and have them check it. If it needs work I pay for it. The buyer then has it shipped directly from DA to themselves. This does two things. It assures the buyer there is an engine to be bought and I'm not a scammer. And he knows he's getting an engine that's in good shape. I've sold several using this technique and never had a complaint.

-Rick-

100cc
The main reason for some one like me IS the service. I like the fact if I buy a used DA I could send it in if I have problems. Everything I have read about DA is that they are a great company. Their service is on record as being the best. I could buy another engine new for the price of a good used DA but... R/C planes crash and it's a great piece of mind to me that I can send it in to be properly rebuilt.