• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Commercial Pilots Thread.

SleepyC

150cc
I am not a commercial pilot, but my partner in GSN is, Bart flys the 777 for United.. so any of you other airbus drivers spout off on your awesome job!!

Fill us in on the life of flying giant hunks of metal through our skies!

O

Ohio AV8TOR

He Bart quick question. I just returned from a several stop Asia tour for work and we were on the 300ER - very nice in business class and made the 16-1/2 hours to Hong Kong a little more enjoyable. So I am curious on fuel burn for that. When I was in the Air Force on a KC 135 we took off in the 12.5k lbs/hr between the 4 engine and cruised in the 8+k range if I remember. What is cruise burn on a 777?

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
off the top of my head i can't say but i'll write down some info when i head out next week and get back to you. i want to say about 12k/hr total but it's going to vary according to weight, altitude, phase of flight, etc. burn rate per hour in cruise isn't something we typically focus on unless we're planning to divert to an alternate airport and need to work out fuel requirements for the different outcomes that might happen. usually during a long flight we're looking at planned fuel over each waypoint compared to actual fuel on board. oil levels taper off throughout the flight so we're always keeping an eye on oil levels also.

i fly the 777-200C model which is going to burn less than the 300ER model that you were riding on. i'll write down numbers for taxi, climb, cruise, idle descent power so you'll get an idea what we're burning at different phases of flight.

:)

I fly e170's and international for me is Canada and the Bahamas. I wish I was making that 777 pay!

It's not too bad overall living in base

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
i've never been in the e170 but have a ton of time in e145's and 135's. the pay isn't what you'd think after ten years of ups and downs. steve said somewhere i'm a "successful" airline pilot.......but it's an oxymoron! like giant shrimp but worse :ambivalence:

mndless

Don't know a thing..
Bartman;8943 wrote: i've never been in the e170 but have a ton of time in e145's and 135's. the pay isn't what you'd think after ten years of ups and downs. steve said somewhere i'm a "successful" airline pilot.......but it's an oxymoron! like giant shrimp but worse :ambivalence:

Not a pilot of any kind, but I am a big enthusiast... have been playing with making a simulator, off and on for a number of years... have build, torn down, and built again a few times.... the torrid history is found at www.erj145.com

Am I correct that the ERJ family has no autothrottle ?? Wonder why that is..

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I haven't been in an E145 since 2004 but from what I can recall I think the E145 has an Autothrottle option but we (Continental Express at the time) didn't get them.

Autothrottle is nice and all when you're up and flying but they almost interfere with the pilot when it's time to come back down and shoot an approach. We leave the Autothrottles on during approach and landing in the 777 but if your'e not paying attention it can bite you in the butt as Asiana learned in San Francisco. 737's we'd click them off when hand flying the approach and landing.

do you leave them on or off in the E170 Jeff?