• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Club flying contest?

Bipeguy03

150cc
We did the balloon pop a few times. Get some helium filled balloons and tie them to a couple of 2x4's and put them on the far side of the runway, then every one gets 3 passes or 5 minutes to cut balloons free of pop them.

A popped balloon is 3 points
A balloon that is cut free is 2 points
A balloon that was cut free and then popped in the air (chased down) is 7 points

Bipeguy03

150cc
We also did the bomb drop but called it the Egg Drop.

Give everyone a foam cup, 10 rubber bands and 4 popsicle sticks. Then they get 20 minutes to come up with a contraption to hold the cup/egg on the airplane.

Put a 5 gallon bucket in the field with 2 chalk rings around it at 10 and 30 feet.

Get the egg on the runway its 1 point, in the 30 foot ring 2 points in the 10 foot ring 3 points hit the bucket 4 points and in the bucket is 5 points. Everyone flies twice highest score wins,

JBenson

50cc
We did a variation of what KG mentioned. We called it roll-roll-roll. You roll a pair of dice. The number that you land on is your point. You fire your plane up take off and perform either 3 rolls, 3 circles, 3 loops, or any combination of 3 of these. Then you land and start rolling the dice again until you hit your point. the dice are the great equalizer. Lowest total time wins!!

Another fun on is airplane drag racing. Take the wings off your tricycle gear planes and race down the runway. WARNING: they don't stop as quickly as they do with wings. A YS-120 powered big stick is pretty fast!!

We have also done spot landing, bomb drop, balloon pop, and carrier landing. All of the above can provide hours of fun.

JB

MikeT

New to GSN!
Trying to come up with some ideas to present to the club for a contest day at our field. Something angled more towards more the .40 sized trainer, but could be done with anything really.

Any recommendations?

I was thinking limbo, spot landing, and I'm outta ideas. lol

Here's the events we use. Simple quick and based a lot on luck mixed with a bit of skill. The guys really enjoy theses because there not "plane killer" events

Fun Fly Events.

1-Timed flight. Without outside help or a timer on the radio, take off and fly around. After 1 minute come in to land. The closest time to wheels touchdown (without going over) is the winner. Wheels up starts your time.

2-Timed Loops and rolls This is another timed event.Time starts at liftoff then the pilot does a sequence of a loop and then a roll. He does this three times and then comes in for a landing to stop the clock. Lowest time wins.

3- Lucky Seven . Pilot needs to roll a 7 with a pair of dice ( timer starts on 1st roll) take off and land then roll another 7 to stop the clock. Lowest time wins.

4- Touch and Goes. Pilot takes off and do as many touch and goes. Time 1 minute starts at wheels up and you must fly the pattern. Most touch and goes wins.

5- Glide Down. Climb for 1 minute. Pilot must idle motor and fly as long as possible. Must land on runway for score to count. Longest flight time wins.

Mike

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I had to laugh out loud at Jetpainer's comment because at our club fun fly event last year, two planes went in fro that exact reason. After that, the Guy running the event got on the microphone and reminded everyone to keep their eyes on their plane......:LOL_gif:

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Another good one I've seen is hard on the nerves (mine anyway). The pilot has to start his plane, take off and fly around for 15 seconds. then he has to put the transmitter down. The guy who can wait the longest before he touches his transmitter again wins.
Of course one of the old guys in the club who used to fly "free flight" always won because he knew the secret is how you set up your plane before you take off.

:) A little up trim could go a long ways.
Another good one I've seen is hard on the nerves (mine anyway). The pilot has to start his plane, take off and fly around for 15 seconds. then he has to put the transmitter down. The guy who can wait the longest before he touches his transmitter again wins.
Of course one of the old guys in the club who used to fly "free flight" always won because he knew the secret is how you set up your plane before you take off.