• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport CARF Pitts - Engine Upgrade

reyn3545

100cc
Well, it's going to be a little more time and a lot more money before this plane gets off the ground.

I ordered a Smart-Fly dual ignition cutoff for it, and it came in this past week. I had previously been running on a single ignition cutoff and a Y-cable, but I never intended to fly it like that. So, today I installed the new cutoff, wired up the ignition modules and drug it outside for a quick test.

About 30 seconds into the warm-up, maybe about half throttle, it started sounding like someone threw some extra parts into the crank case. I stopped immediately, said some extra words, then took it back into the basement for a closer look.

All of the pistons are still moving, and they seem to hold compression, but the bearings do "knock" more than they should as the cylinders pressurize and release pressure. It may not the the broken crank that I feared, maybe just a bearing or something, but as bad as things were slapping around, I need to send the motor down to Gerhard for service.

I'm glad I wasn't just lifting off the runway when this happened. We'll see what Aircraft International has to say when they get to it.

reyn3545

100cc
LOL... This Pitts, or the motors on it, have become the bottomless money pit. But, I have to stay with it until I beat it. Hopefully the repair bill is minor. It ha been running pretty well, so I'm surprised with the failure.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

reyn3545

100cc
Starting to wish I had purchased a new motor, but this one was at a good price, and the previous owner is very reputable in the hobby business. Stuff happens.

reyn3545

100cc
I talked to Gerhard today at AI... the motor had a broken crankshaft. They've repaired it and are returning it today, so I should have it by the end of the week!

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Starting to wish I had purchased a new motor, but this one was at a good price, and the previous owner is very reputable in the hobby business. Stuff happens.

With strong product support behind it buying a used item is much less of a risk. Good to hear it's repaired.