• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Carbon Propeller Repair

Hi guys,

I made an error when I was dragging my plane back from the pits and caught the tip of the carbon prop (a Mejzlik 24x10) on the concrete.

It has taken a small chunk out of one prop tip. I'm looking for advice if this can be safely repaired and if so how? I am happy to throw it in the garbage, but given the cost of one of these do not want to do so unnecessarily!

Here are a couple photos. What you can't see in photos is when viewed end on there is a single crack, no thicker than paper between two of the layers of carbon but I don't think it goes more than 1/16" (1.5mm) into the layer.

Front:
125c787e2b3cb035ec086c2d16a6ea40.jpg

Back:
a4dc39eed4e156e6a3cbf5ebe6877350.jpg

Thanks!

TazmanianDevil

Xtreme by DeFinition !
Use the method bill wrote you.
It's the one I'm using.
The thin CA will glue the loos fiber the medium will fill the missing chunk.

If you want to sand it use a razor knife and peel away the CA excess.
Use a sandpaper and Then use a polish grade paste and polish it for best surface texture.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I had a similar incident with a 32x11 Falcon. Mine wasn't quite as bad. What ever it was that I did, it took about one mm off the leading edge tip. I used a really fine rasp file to take off the remaining trailing edge tip. I then sanded it with 400 grit to regain the original shape. Once that was done, I matched the opposite undamaged tip to it's exact likeness. Checked the balance and good to go. I think it took me more time drag everything out to repair it than the actual repair itself.

Bill and Earle would be correct on the procedure for yours though. No reason that prop won't still give you tons of flight hours if repaired correctly.