• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Bull Engines BE 124 Twin Review and Testing

sweetpea

100cc
Well I got mine today and started mounting. Impressions:

-Motor looks good and mine came with a thick polo shirt

-it mounted in same pattern as 3w

- mufflers can be mounted stacks forward or back. Stangflyer said he gets more rpm with them back. No smoke nipple and if you put stacks back you need to put nipple on the front or side or it will go right out the pipe.

- for me...i hated the auto choke feature. I cut that plastic tab off

- the choke is backwards compared to 3W. So that is going to play havoc as I always pulled choke lever forward and its now opposite.

-throttle linkage extension it comes with has a little play. I'm going to JB weld it along with the screw to keep it tight. But I got it mounted with my servo.

I'm nitpicking.......hoping I can do a test run soon, but I need a few parts first for the plane

IMG_20160813_144254594.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
My son and I took our twin 124 twins out today. It was maiden day for him and his brand new Pilot 330sc with the BE 124. Nothing short of very impressive as expected. Other than the third flight, the engine died and he had to do a dead stick landing. Ah but not a problem for him. He greased it in like a boss. So why did the 124 die? Well, that cute little aluminum arm that is sent with the BE 124 slipped it's position and dropped the throttle setting. Quick fix and she's busting that 29x9 Falcon loose again. I was expecting more from the 330 for more extreme characteristics. But unlike my Pilot Edge, a completely different animal of sorts. GREAT flying plane. I will say that. Heck, knife edge spins are so easy to lock into it is just like my Edge. Takes nothing. With that power monster up front, ain't much that plane can't do.

All in all, definitely a hit and home run for my son. He is trying to get this ride all bug free for Tri-Cities in just a few short weeks.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Fed Ex delivered it today. Left the box in the rain just outside the perimeter of the HUGE covered porch I have. Box was punctured and the engine mount was damaged . Other than that the engine is fine.
Will be just a bit but it will get bolted to an EF 104 and put to the test :big-grin:.

20160814_004645.jpg
20160814_004720.jpg
20160814_004752.jpg

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Grrrrreaaaate. Just gotta love them shipping companies. ARGH!!!!!!!!

Being the Ol' BIL works for em I know what exactly happened here. They have these sticks with metal spikes (Toad Gig) to retrieve or unjam a package :face-palm:. Never ever had an issue with USPS, UPS or EMS but I'm sure they have the same issues.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Oh! BTW Rob..........Big THANKS brother :attaboy:. Being I know how the first generation DA 120 performed it is going to be interesting to see how this engine performs compared to it. I find it curious however that the box says "Designed in the USA"...."Assembled in China".

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Oh! BTW Rob..........Big THANKS brother :attaboy:. Being I know how the first generation DA 120 performed it is going to be interesting to see how this engine performs compared to it. I find it curious however that the box says "Designed in the USA"...."Assembled in China".
:laughing:
Don't you know everything is designed in 'Merica and assembled in China?:msn_slap:

sweetpea

100cc
Today I checked spinner spacing and got it perfect. I did not i had to sand the bolt a touch to accept the spinner backplate. Nothing crazy. But I would rather sand that so I can share spinners if needed.

Alky6

150cc