• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Building of the 30cc Slick 540 from Redwing RC!!!

gyro

GSN Contributor
I don't even lock tight them, I just check them in preflight. But a lot of guys do. Or use rubber bonded washers.

Jake, maybe you should invite your good friend to join us all over here? :)

I've been using some rubber washers from www.trimcraftaviationrc.com, but I've also used some cut fuel tubing and a washer to provide the back pressure that prevents the bolt from backing out.

Looks good so far Jeff, thanks for taking the time to put up a detailed build thread when you're so busy!

Jwmav528

70cc twin V2
I don't even lock tight them, I just check them in preflight. But a lot of guys do. Or use rubber bonded washers. Here is a thread on GiantScaleNews a good friend of mine started. He's building an orange one.

http://www.GiantScaleNews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86133

I'll do that once I put the xq4013s on. I can use those metal arms that come with them and then I can put them on and take them off. It'll go in my car much better then. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Jwmav528

70cc twin V2
After the tail, I mounted the landing gear. There's this awesome plate that goes over the heat to blend it in with the fuselage. uploadfromtaptalk1380934316703.jpg

Also, the landing gear has a sweep in it. It's very important that the sweep goes forward. It's hard to eyeball it so I set it upright on the table and looked for the direction it was leaning. uploadfromtaptalk1380934331970.jpg

Everything mounted. What's not pictured are the aluminum angle braces and the large bolts with nylon insert lucknuts holding the gear on. I put the bolts through the cover and then the gear and finally tightened everything down. uploadfromtaptalk1380934375344.jpg

I need an opinion. Did I get the sweep right? uploadfromtaptalk1380934405194.jpg

Next up were the wheels and wheelpants. The wheels are pretty self explanatory. The only change I'm making is that I'm going to use dubro low bounce rubber wheels. The wheels in the kit are quite nice actually. They're rubberized and stiff enough that they won't flatten over long periods off resting on the mains. The reason I'm changing them out ids because I fly off an asphalt runway so the ground is harder than a grass field and models tend to bounce off asphalt if you land too hard. I've been using the low bounce rubber wheels for a while now and they really do absorb quite a bit of shock which I'd good for the longevity of the plane. They also don't flatten over long periods of rest. uploadfromtaptalk1380934438380.jpg

Next up were the pants. This part was a little tricky because the length of the bolts and the shape off the wheel pant give you very little play in the positioning of your wheel. Either it was catching on the bolt for the wheel pant or rubbing the pant itself. I got the spacing just right on each one but since I'm changing the wheels anyways I'm switching to shorter bolts while I'm at it. That should make the wheel positioning less critical. Also, the slot in the pant where it goes around the axle is narrow and will only go around the axle nut in certain orientations. I had to loosen it and make sure it was oriented the right way before tightening it down again.uploadfromtaptalk1380934450807.jpguploadfromtaptalk1380934461915.jpguploadfromtaptalk1380934477929.jpguploadfromtaptalk1380934488621.jpguploadfromtaptalk1380934497857.jpg

cardenflyer

70cc twin V2
Jake, maybe you should invite your good friend to join us all over here? :)

I've been using some rubber washers from www.trimcraftaviationrc.com, but I've also used some cut fuel tubing and a washer to provide the back pressure that prevents the bolt from backing out.

Looks good so far Jeff, thanks for taking the time to put up a detailed build thread when you're so busy!

I'll let him know.

I'll do that once I put the xq4013s on. I can use those metal arms that come with them and then I can put them on and take them off. It'll go in my car much better then. :D

Looking great. Just my suggestion, I'd look into 4020s for the ailerons and the rudder. I think you'll need the torque as this is a big 30cc! Just my personal $0.02

Jwmav528

70cc twin V2
I'll let him know.

Looking great. Just my suggestion, I'd look into 4020s for the ailerons and the rudder. I think you'll need the torque as this is a big 30cc! Just my personal $0.02

That being said, would the hitec 5625s that I'm running while breaking in the engine and getting a feel for the plane be up to the task for the easier initial flying? Or should I wait until I have the XQs?

cardenflyer

70cc twin V2
5625 are really not suitable for this plane in my opinion. Only 130 ounces. If it was me, to be safe and get the best performance. I'd order 5 XQ4020s now and then use the hitec 5625 on the throttle since you said you already have some. I say 4020s over the other ones because they are just a few dollars difference and they will be great if you decide to move them into a 50cc down the road as well. And check out the quanity discount listed at the bottom of the page.

http://www.redwingrc.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_6_31&products_id=31

Jwmav528

70cc twin V2
5625 are really not suitable for this plane in my opinion. Only 130 ounces. If it was me, to be safe and get the best performance. I'd order 5 XQ4020s now and then use the hitec 5625 on the throttle since you said you already have some. I say 4020s over the other ones because they are just a few dollars difference and they will be great if you decide to move them into a 50cc down the road as well. And check out the quanity discount listed at the bottom of the page.

http://www.redwingrc.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_6_31&products_id=31

That is what I started thinking too when you suggested 50 cc servos for this plane. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going overboard. I can't order them just yet but I probably can get them in a week or so. In the meantime, I'll move on to installing the engine. :D

funflyr

50cc
I've been lurking, I couldn't remember my password (until today.) My Redwing 30cc Slick is coming together nicely. I'm installing the servo's now. Should have it ready to fly on Saturday.
Troy

I'll let him know.

Jwmav528

70cc twin V2
I've been lurking, I couldn't remember my password (until today.) My Redwing 30cc Slick is coming together nicely. I'm installing the servo's now. Should have it ready to fly on Saturday.
Troy

Welcome to the forum! Be sure to introduce yourself in the new members forum.

Good luck on your maiden! I am slammed with job interviews this week and my anniversary is this weekend so I'll be content with getting the engine into mine. Though I should be maidening it next week hopefully.