• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Build Log Top Flite P-40E Warhawk Gold Edition kit

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Now that the C-47 is finished up and waiting for the maiden, goal is to clean up the workbench and get back to the P-40. Thinking I'll just go ahead and finish up the wing.

Charles

70cc twin V2
YEA Glad to see you starting to work on it again I've had to set mine asside as I need to finish up 90 hrs to retain my real estate license so will probibly get back on it around the middle of march.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Put the wing back on the table this past Saturday. Was looking at how I'm going to put some carbon fiber strip reinforcements around where I had to cut the spar for the gear and realized how much sanding of glue and epoxy I need to do. So I sanded a little bit.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Managed to get about 30 minutes of sanding epoxy and CA on the wing this weekend. Trying to prep it for carbon fiber reinforcement on the spars where I cut out for LG, need to epoxy some ply onto the wing alignment peg corners. This is a modification recommended to me that will ensure that alignment dowel goes on straight and gives a conserable larger surface for the dowel to epoxy to. It's tough to get any long chunks of time to dedicate to building these days.

Oh and I dry fitted stuff together for grins.

IMG_20150523_142143896.jpg

Charles

70cc twin V2
Looks great glad to see you back on it. Is that Saito next to itr what you are going to power it with?

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Got the wing bolt modification sanded, carbon fiber reinforcement glued in, firewall tri stock reinforcement modification glued in, and center lines marked on firewall. Need to buy more HS-485HB servos for the wing and servo extensions before can sheet the wing. Need to consult with my experienced builder on engine placement as we are not fans of an inverted motor, going with sideways mount.

Charles

70cc twin V2
If you use an OS and mount it sideways you will have to modify the front top cowling to allow for the motor to extend out of the side of the plane. I mounted the RCV at a 45 degree angle so I could get both the carb. and the exhaust inside the cowling of the front of the plane. see photos of build log. With a standard L shaped motor the inverted mounting location of the motor is the only arrangement that you will be able to get the motor completely inside the plane.

Last edited by a moderator:

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
If you use an OS and mount it sideways you will have to modify the front top cowling to allow for the motor to extend out of the side of the plane. I mounted the RCV at a 45 degree angle so I could get both the carb. and the exhaust inside the cowling of the front of the plane. see photos of build log. With a standard L shaped motor the inverted mounting location of the motor is the only arrangement that you will be able to get the motor completely inside the plane.

Fully aware and know what to expect. Dad built the P-51 and FW-190D kits while I was still in grade school. Not worried about a hidden engine install. Historically inverts engines flooded and didn't run as well, not to mention the difficulty of attaching the igniter to the glow plug.

Charles

70cc twin V2
Fully aware and know what to expect. Dad built the P-51 and FW-190D kits while I was still in grade school. Not worried about a hidden engine install. Historically inverts engines flooded and didn't run as well, not to mention the difficulty of attaching the igniter to the glow plug.
I'm going to put in a remote glow plug and run a glow igniter to forestall the problems you mention. I just think it is a shame to mess up the nose of a P-40 with the head of an engine sticking through the side of it.