• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Become A Model Aviation Mentor. Help Others In Our Sport!

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Fellas you can't "push it". However when opportunities present themselves take advantage of them. If your flying field has spectators talk with them, educate them. If schools or organizations reach out, reach back. Listen to what the person wants with the hobby and cater to that rather than "persuading" one way or another. Pros and cons are great but if I come with my heart set on flying something quickly I'm not going to be thrilled when someone talks about a 2 week project (that fish will take your bait and barely give a nibble). That person needs to be plugged into a buddy box and fly! After he/ she are excited about flying and they "have" flown (set the hook before reeling it in), the "longer" conversation can begin (try to carefully land the fish!).
I keep "fact sheets" with me at the fields and at events and hand them out to spectators. They are FAQs and usually start a dialogue. They leave with contact info (AMA site, club site and Facebook) addresses in their hands. I will occasionally see some "likes" from our spectators and that translates into positive support for the hobby if nothing else. You'd be surprised where and when those planted seeds we all sow may sprout. May not be the moment we plant it. It may not be in "our garden". But, leave the seed in good shape (a positive, fun experience) and it may grow to be a future mentor. We may not see it but I like to think they are out there flourishing in the hobby. If we look back, someone at sometime likely was welcoming or encouraging with us and that's the key. Perhaps we want some of that instant gratification in seeing those we help take right to it? Plant a seed and feel good about doing something positive.
Sure beats the crusty old guy barking out "hey, only club members and AMA pilots allowed" and turning their backs. I'd love to slap those old fools! Especially when they all huddle around looking at the same faces wondering why their club is dying and blame it on "those": foamies, those ARFs, simulators, "crazy" 3D flying, etc etc etc. all they need is a good mirror!
Frank, you are a good fisherman and gardener. Keep casting and sowing seeds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
That's some great advice!

And I would also suggest leaving your number at the LHS, posting the MA Mentor Map (https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=...333754300750.0004d59fa6f42a3de34bc&dg=feature) on your social media page or anywhere else newcomers may see it. Getting the info out to those that need to see it is the hardest part. Teaching people about MA is the easy and fun part. Finding them and letting them know you are out there to help takes a lot of effort.

I made this video some time ago. You can share this around as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UENvyApnM-E

Frank

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
You guys have been doing great! But I know there must be some more folks that have not seen this thread and would like to volunteer. Please spread the word and send folks my way.

Thanks,

Frank

Attachments

• Map Page 1.jpg
    Map Page 1.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 224