• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Any Monokote users here?

mndless

Don't know a thing..
I had some 20 year old rolls of white, but didn't have enough for the plane I was working on at the time. Got some new rolls to finish the plane, the color still matched and I found it still worked the same but it doesn't stick as well. The plane I'm working on now just sitting on the bench I notice new spots coming lose all the time.

Not good... just recovered an entire airplane in the stuff.... ack...

-Rick-

100cc
Another problem I had with monoloe is that I bought two 25 foot rolls and both rolls had dust trapped between the two layers. I guess quality is not as good as it use to be!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Another problem I had with monoloe is that I bought two 25 foot rolls and both rolls had dust trapped between the two layers. I guess quality is not as good as it use to be!
Wow, that sucks. Sorry you had that misfortune. You'll never see that with Ultracote. Well, at least I haven't.

I've certainly seen my share of problems with Ultracote over the years. Some years ago, several rolls of red had an adhesive layer that was like sand and would not soften well for adhesion. I threw them away and found some decent stuff from another batch. Another common problem is color match from roll to roll and transparency of opaque colors. I always save leftovers from a project in case patches are necessary as I know any new rolls I buy won't be the same. That and it fades much faster than Monokote did making repairs even more difficult. Then there is that wonderful Ultracote "seam creep" that can spoil your day quite unlike what Monokote was like.

I just want my OLD Monokote back but we know that won't be happening anytime soon.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I've certainly seen my share of problems with Ultracote over the years. Some years ago, several rolls of red had an adhesive layer that was like sand and would not soften well for adhesion. I threw them away and found some decent stuff from another batch. Another common problem is color match from roll to roll and transparency of opaque colors. I always save leftovers from a project in case patches are necessary as I know any new rolls I buy won't be the same. That and it fades much faster than Monokote did making repairs even more difficult. Then there is that wonderful Ultracote "seam creep" that can spoil your day quite unlike what Monokote was like.

I just want my OLD Monokote back but we know that won't be happening anytime soon.
I must agree....there was a time of old that Ultracote and Monokote alike had issues. Especially since the EPA stepped in and forced them to make a change to the adhesive. But I do think it has gotten better recently. Maybe new developments. My son, @Shayne Epley is an absolute Monokote die hard fan. I on the other hand will never use anything other than "GENUINE" Ultracote. Not the cheap stuff some people call Ultracote, but the good stuff. I have seen seam creap. But there is a very easy way to keep that from happening. When covering, I overlap at least a minimum of 1/4". As well as if I know the seam or edge is going to be at a corner or an edge, a simple fold over then capped will absolutely stop that creap. Another thing too that might help, when wrinkles appear...as they always do, I will use firm pressure at the seam while gently heating to remove wrinkles. It is very true the Monokote has more brilliant colors.... And I have seen some really awesome covering jobs with Monokote. My son has recently been doing a complete recover on his 43% PAU Edge 540. Apparently the covering didn't like staying down and started peeling off after 40 flights. Including wings, front of fuse...everywhere. Soooo...off with the original and on with new Monokote. I must say he is doing an impeccable job. I just can't acclimate to the stuff.

20151220_173650.jpg
2015112895124434.jpg

I completely agree that wrapping covering over an edge will stop seam creep on Ultracote but there are times when a simple lap joint is unavoidable. In these cases I usually lap Ultracote well over 1/4" and usually 1/2" or more. But leave the plane in the sun for awhile and over the years, the covering seam will creep sometimes to the point of causing problems. Doing lap repairs, I've had to do an Ultracote patch more than once to get acceptable results where with OLD Monokote it would have been easy.

Even if they have improved Monokote a bit from the known bad product, how do you know if the product you buy today is from an old or new batch?

I guess I'll just move forward and continue to use Ultracote and accept its limitations .... all while remembering what my preferred product, Monokote was once like.