• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

72" Extra 330SC

gyro

GSN Contributor
Got a chance to maiden my 72 extra 330sc last weekend. For some reason could not get the dle30 dialed in, and only flew it once. It came in a little nose heavy with the ignition batt mounted up front and a push/pull setup for the rudder. I will move my a123 pack back a little bit and that should fix it.

After tearing everything down to diagnose the engine problem, there was some evidence of the spinner backplate rubbing against the front of the cowl. How do you guys shim your motor out if you need to? I think a single flat washer between the standoff and the firewall would be enough. I've never performed this, so I thought I would ask your all's suggestion.

On a side note, the engine problem turned out to be that the supply line came loose inside the fuel tank

Hi Wade,

I also had a small amount of rub on my cowl, but it was when using a prop only, for some reason the spinner is a little bit further away and doesn't rub. If I needed to, I'd go to the hardware store and buy a pack of M4 sized washers, then place them between the standoff and the engine, versus the standoff and the fuse. This should get you the separation you need, and won't crush the stand off into the firewall... plus, those bolts are easier to remove :D

Here is the way I have the interior setup on mine, maybe seeing it will give you some ideas for balancing:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371265728.685982.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1369606855.429203.jpg
(note, I moved the battery back to the first picture location, the second pic was before I installed a spinner)-

Hope this helps,

-G

wade

50cc
Thanks Gyro, my interior setup looks very similar. What size fourtitude tank are you running? I've got a 16oz tank, but someone had suggested for me to go with a smaller tank in this plane (8-12 oz).

gyro

GSN Contributor
Thanks Gyro, my interior setup looks very similar. What size fourtitude tank are you running? I've got a 16oz tank, but someone had suggested for me to go with a smaller tank in this plane (8-12 oz).

I'm also running the 16oz. First tank had an o ring fail on the vent line, but the LHS contacted Fourtitude, and provided a new one under warranty.

wade

50cc
I actually installed a spare 11oz tank I had laying around. I see a lot of people running a 16oz tank in these planes, so it must be pretty common

joshgluck

100cc
Got a 16 in the 74 edge and will have the same or fortitude 16 in the extra. Never runs dry except when I let Dan fly it ;-)