• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

71" AJ Slick Building, Flying, and Questions

ryan_m

100cc
There are two schools of thought on what to do after an incident like that. One says that you should power down and check of anything got loose. The other one says to apply full power and do a snap roll. You seem to be a follower of the latter one... :D :D :D

Love it!

I subscribe to the second one as well! If it ain't obviously broke, take back off and give it hell and find out in the air. It's a more spectacular crash that way :D
well done :)

quadracer

100cc
Got mine all repaired structurally, tomorrow I'll put the patching on it. Some of the seams didn't want to cooperate, so they aren't exactly flush. It wasn't pristine when I got it, so I'm not too concerned. This is also my first repair job of this magnitude, so I'm sure the next one will be much better.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347587708.536513.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347587730.496817.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347587751.484618.jpg

SnowDog

Got mine all repaired structurally, tomorrow I'll put the patching on it. Some of the seams didn't want to cooperate, so they aren't exactly flush. It wasn't pristine when I got it, so I'm not too concerned. This is also my first repair job of this magnitude, so I'm sure the next one will be much better.

Looks good structurally...after major repairs like that, I'm just happy if it flies halfway straight! :)

gyro

GSN Contributor
Ok, behold, the final pics of my second 70" Slick landing gear plate repair: (thanks to SteveT for the landing gear plate)

IMG_3797.jpgIMG_3798.jpgIMG_3799.jpgIMG_3800.jpgIMG_3801.jpgIMG_3803.jpgIMG_3804.jpgIMG_3805.jpg

gyro

GSN Contributor
Looks Fine as Frogs hair Gary!!! And glad I could help!! Did it fit ok???

SteveT

needed a little trimming, as I think the 71 is sized different than the 70" The forward slots are different all together than on the 71, hence my carbon fiber supports. Looks like it should hold up real nice though!

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Guys, after a 3 week absence I managed to spend some time out flying this afternoon. It was really nice to take some time for that.

I flew the 48 edge 3 times and really enjoyed flying it pretty hard. I think I had some pent up flying aggression having not been out for so long. I did a lot of low KE passes. Some low and slow and some full throttle. That plane inspires so much confidence in KE. I also brought it down on the deck with some inverted harrier antics. Everything went great with it and I gotta say I really like that plane.

The slick was banged up a bit. I hadn't noticed some damage to the balsa in the fuse around the anti-rotation pin hole near the trailing edge of each wing. Being dumb like I am I didn't have any glue with me. I called my buddy Brigg who was on his way over and he turned around and picked up some CA. What a guy ;)

After some repairs to the slick I went to start turning the prop to prime it a bit. Well, there was so much compression that I couldn't flip it over. The alarm bells in my head went off so I took out the spark plug and a couple tablespoons of smoke oil came pouring out. After cleaning up the plug and flipping it some to get as much smoke oil out as I could I put it back together. Well now it was a major pain to start with a bunch of smoke oil still being present in the cylinder but persistence prevailed and we finally got her running.

After running it for a minute on the ground I went ahead and flew her for a bit despite the fact that the motor was running rich. Here is a vid.

[video=youtube_share;ExfIa7YMbIs]http://youtu.be/ExfIa7YMbIs[/video]

Here is a vid from a few weeks ago when I was playing with the smoke system.

[video=youtube_share;Qw0zFEnm05Q]http://youtu.be/Qw0zFEnm05Q[/video]

You can see there is still some work to be done to get the flow right on the smoke oil...

gyro

GSN Contributor
in case anyone was ever curious, a 70 Slick will fit into the 2nd row of a 2008 Honda Odyssey, width-wise. I'll let you know if it survives 1300 miles that way.

-G