• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport 50CC AMR STICK THREAD

Should I Do A Build Thread On My 50cc AMR Stick

• YES, DEFINITELY

Votes: 17 89.5%
  • YES, BUT ONLY IF IT TAKES LESS THAN A YEAR. . . . LOL

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • MAY BE INTERESTING

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO, TOO BORING

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well Fellas,

I did a little work on the AMR Stick last night, but someone who shall remain nameless forgot to take pictures AGAIN ! ! !:face-palm:. Since I didn't get to the LHS and get the replacement strip stock that I needed for the wing, I went ahead and made the aileron and flap servo supports for both wing half's. It was parts like this that made me wish I had an extra pair of hands to hold all the parts together and glue them. . . . . . :yesss:. After I made the first one, I tried one of my aileron servo's to see if it would fit before I made the other three. The Futaba 9155 was a little tough to get in, but when I finally did, I realized a slight error. . . . . :eek: I mistakenly grabbed a stick of 3/8" square hard balsa for the servo rails instead of hardwood. As it turned out, this will not be a problem because when I ordered the servos, I ordered aluminum arms that had the offset on the top of the arm instead of the bottom of the arm. This means in order for me to center the servo arm in the opening in the servo hatch, I'd have to add a 3/16" piece of wood to the rails to center the arm. I had plenty of excess 3/16" plywood from all of the parts, so I cut, sanded and fit eight spacers and glued them on top of the servo rails so the servo screws will go through the plywood before they dig into the hard balsa rails. If anyone whose following sees any issue with this, please speak up now. Of course, this caused another issue, which you guys have probably figures out by now. Raising the servo another 3/16" made it impossible to get the servo into the holder. As it turns out the servo lead would not allow me to rotate the servo so It could rest flat on the rails. This was an easy fix, however. All I did was put some 150 grit sticky back sandpaper around a 1/4" dowel and sanded an dentation into the bottom of the hard balsa just big enough to let the servo lead clear. If I can remember next Monday night, I will take some pictures and post them next week.

For reasons given above, making the four servo supports took me just over three hours of steady work, instead of the hour it should have taken:confused:, but that's OK. It's one more step I've completed in build my Stick.

Thanks for stopping by fellas.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Good afternoon Fella's,

Just sitting here waiting for Tropical Storm Hermine to make up her mind what she's going to do. Ain't that just like a woman? . . :laughing:. I think the storm is supposed to stall off the coast just long enough to ruin my whole three day weekend, but that's OK. I'm glad we dodged the bullet again, unlike some of the good people south of me whose homes and property took a beating.

While I was out this morning, I went to the LHS to get what wood I could to replace the pieces that mysteriously disappeared from my box. :confused??: I was able to get everything but the 1/4x1/2 basswood spars plus the leading edge and trailing edge stock. The LHS owner said he would order the wood I need so I can pick it up next Friday. Hopefully I will have enough wood to be able to do some work on the Stick Monday evening, but I will not know until I get to my Buddy's shop.

I hope everyone has a happy and safe Labor Day. . . . . :big_yes:

David

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Good evening Gent's,

I almost didn't turn my computer on this evening because my blood pressure stayed up all day from dealing with a bunch of idiots. . . :very_angry:. Anyway, I did make it to my buddy Joe's house last night with the wood I was able to get at the LHS. I wasn't able to get much wood because everything I needed had to be 48" long and my friends shop didn't have that much. Of course, I cannot blame him because there isn't allot of interest in building kits or scratch building these days, not to mention someone needing 48" strip stock. The good thing is that everything I need was ordered and it should be in before Friday so I can go get it. . . . . :) As my luck would have it, I didn't get any of the wood I needed in order to continue with the wing so I got absolutely NOTHING new accomplished. However, I did get some pictures of the servo mounts I made last week, so at least I have a little update for you all.

Stick 21.jpg

Stick 22.jpg

Here are the tops and the bottoms of the two flap and aileron servo mounts. I must have assembled them, taken them apart and assembled them again at least a half dozen times to make sure I made two "lefts" and two "rights. It must have worked because I ended up with two of each. . . . :laughing:

Stick 20.jpg

Here you can see the rails for the servo screws. It's a little hard to tell, but you may be able to make out the 3/8" plywood strips I had to add to center the servo arm in the opening and to help fix my goof up of using hard balsa instead of hardwood for the servo screws to screw into.

Stick 19.jpg

For the life of me, I do not know why I cannot rotate this picture, but anyway you can see where I took a round file and made room for the servo wire so I could get the servo in. You can also see where I screwed up and put the servo in this mount backwards the first time which explains why both rails have a round groove. . Unfortunately, that's all I have for tonight.

Since my weekly scheduling meeting at the office this morning, I have come to the stark realization that there are two chances of me actually getting to finish this project before my year is up. They are slim and none. Hell, the way it is looking right now, I will be lucky if I can get this wing panel finished by the end of the year. So I have come to this conclusion. If I do not get a chance to work on my Stick in the next three weeks, I will ask Paul to delete this thread. Let's all keep our finger crossed that it doesn't come to that. . . . . :(

Have a good evening.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Don't worry about it. Rome wasn't built in a day as they say. I started cutting wood for my scratch build project 3 years ago. It takes as long as it takes.:)

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well, I already know there won't be any work done on the AMR Stick this week. I was supposed to work this weekend but our parking lot was blocked off all weekend for sealing and repainting so nobody had access to the building. Now I will have to bust my arse all week to make up for lost time. . . . . . :ugh:

Joshet89

50cc
Looking good!! I am 14 months into mine...got slow going with this flying season and a new baby in the house too. My buddies gave me a hard time saying it took my wife less time for a baby than building this plane :D Maybe I missed it somewhere in the thread what are you using to power yours?
STIK FUSE.jpg

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey @Joshet89,

Welcome to GSN and my little build thread. Please feel free to use this thread to give us updates on your AMR Stick build. Maybe between the two of us, we can keep the rest of the onlookers who are following this thread awake. . . . . :laughing:. Are you going to build the round tail and scalloped control surfaces for your Stick? I wish my fuse looked as good as yours. Then again, I'm sure yours is built correctly. The person who built mine screwed it up (which reminds me I still need to call AMR and order the new fuselage parts).

I'm going to put a 3W70 Twin on my AMR Stick. Here is a few pictures of my Buddy's AMR Stick with a 3W78 twin on it.
010.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

There is no doubt the plane will fly on a 50cc engine, but my Buddy says you would need add allot of weight in the nose to balance it so why not make the weight useful? Let me tell you something else. As heavy as it is, it is absolutely INSANE how well that plane flies. Whether it's flying slow or fast, on calm days or windy days, it makes no difference. I have seen other threads where people have put a DA100 on the nose of this thing. I also have an old 3W100 twin that I have even considered using, but prop clearance starts to become an issue when you get that big.

Joshet89

50cc
Well I really like my DA-70 that I have now on my ABZ Extra so I am considering another one. I have kicked around the idea of a DA-100 but am not sure if I want to spend the extra for that. I would rather put a nice canister setup on the 70 and keep the sound patrol happy at the club. I am building this with scallops and round tail as a throwback to the 60 size stik my dad and I kit built back in the early 90s when I was a kid learning to fly. I think I am going to take him the ailerons and elevator to cover so he can enjoy covering scallops one more time :D :D I have the fuse and tail all built and a good portion of the left wing. My plan is to get the right wing built before I start sheeting so that is all done at the same time. Sorry to hear about your fuse, but the dealing I have with AMR so far has been great and they took care of a little bit of a snafu that I did. When I was laminating the sides of the fuse together I ended up making 2 left sides :mad: However they took care of me and sent out a few new pieces with minimal cost!

Here is the stik my dad and I built that is still flying today! I am definitely going with a different covering scheme this time around!

IMG_3693.JPG

Elevator compared to my 3DHS 92 Edge elevator
IMG_4418.JPG

Round tail and scallops!!
IMG_4421.JPG