• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3W 140 on 100cc Pilot

Good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters
I've got a buddy who recently purchased a used 3W 140 and he planning on installing it in his Pilot Extra 330. I'm thinking its way to much engine for the plane and am wondering how he's going to balance out an extra 3.5lbs of weight vs the DLE111 he had before. Anybody ever try anything like this? Isnt it going to be quite difficult to hover with a 140cc engine?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Eric, I too like @49dimes vote yes. I recently installed a DLA 128 on my Pilot 107" Edge. After a few problems with the first motor, the second 128 ran really good. The plane flew really well. The second motor did have some dependability issues so I removed it and put a DLE 111 in its place. I did put 2 rudder servos in the tail with my batteries directly under the pilots seat in the canopy. I added no weight and the plane balanced right where I like it. Now taking into consideration the 3dub 140 verses the DLA 128, you no doubt will have far better power to weight ratio. The 128 was very comparable to a 111. If I had to do it again??? Most definitely I would. But that's me. Search youtube for Pilot Edge 540/DLA 128. Purple and black 107" Edge with smoke. I really can't see how the 140 will weigh more than the 128. But then again, 2 very powerful pistons verses 4....could be a ton more power than a 100cc frame needs.

Last edited: