• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3DHS 48" Edge vs. EF 48" Edge

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
It's funny that these are both edges in the same size from two different manufacturers but they are very different airplanes.

The 3DHS 48 Edge was really designed to be a first wood airplane after you got proficient with foamies. It's inexpensive, durable, and the wire gear bends without breaking or damaging the fuselage. It has a lot of wing area and harriers extremely easily. It's great for learning energy management and generally flying a wood plane and it's specialized for entry level 3D like harriers and hovers.

The EF Edge is much faster, more precise, and more capable. It does great precision, and will take you from simple harriers and hovers to rolling harriers, precision, and high-speed stuff. It takes a bit more attention to fly and it's a bit more money but it's a lot more capable. However, the landing gear won't take quite as much punishment as the 3DHS Edge (but it is very tough for a wood airplane).

I agree Cody. The 3DHS 48" Edge was my first balsa (back in the hobby after long hiatus). It did as advertised and as Cody explains. I bought a friends 48" EF MXS and I could hardly believe they were in the same class. Not to downplay the 3DHS Edge- as stated it performs as advertised and makes a wonderful transition to balsa and higher performance 3D. You can use 3s packs common to foamies and get loads of fun and experience. Most people complain about the wire gear but it is designed to bend to save the airframe. I added SFGs (home grown) to mine and it improved KE and precision performance with very little roll rate penalty. I was getting bored with it recently and added a Zoar 14x7 (vs. APC 14x7) and it was like having a new plane! You will enjoy that Laser (I'd like the 60). Anyone else trying to decide I'd call it more a difference between a VW or BMW high end performance sedan vs. the Ferrari. You can get performance out of both but the VW comes in automatic, the Ferrari wants to be driven hard all the time. If you want to unleash a little beast you can throw a 4S in the 3DHS Edge and let her loose! However the energy level of the EF airframes with stock power really opens your eyes! I hope we all realize we are talking about a fine line of difference. Both these manufacturers have brought and will continue to bring many smiles to many modellers. Thanks EF and 3DHS!