• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 25% Krier Kraft build, a tribute to grampa.

Bipeguy03

150cc
Spent the morning working on the bungee thimbles for gear. I have some pictures but for some reason the site won't let me upload them, keeps giving me an error message.

I'll try to get them uploaded again later.

Bipeguy03

150cc
Okay, I can post the pictures now!

I made the bungee thimbles out of 1 inch lengths of 3/16" wire with number 8 flat washers soldered to both ends. I then soldered the thimbles to the bungee struts in the apex after I had shortened the struts themselves.

256.jpg

Making the thimbles in the vice.

257.jpg

Soldering the thimbles in the apex of the bungee struts.

258.jpg

Finished gear.

259.jpg

Close up of the thimble assembly.

260.jpg

I used some 1/8" shock cord as the bungees, when the airplane is finished the whole assy. will be wrapped with a leather baggie.

Bipeguy03

150cc
Okay, well with mom's coffee table finished it's back to the Krier Kraft for a few days ( in a couple of weeks I have to make my sister a coat rack for Christmas).

I went to work on the last few things to finish up the bottom wing, I made some discs from mahogany to reinforce were the wing bolts sit. I then finished making the landing gear straps, put the last flying wire tabs in and finally the last cap strips.

Now it's time to start over, and make this airplane a biplane ;)

261.jpg

Mom's coffee table finished, finished pretty easily excluding the massive splinter it gave me on my right middle finger. Son-of-a-b**ch still hurts lol

262.jpg

Making the discs for wing bolt reinforcements. Just so happened that I had a hole saw that was perfect, cut the discs just the right size and the pilot drill is even 1/4". Made that job too easy!

263.jpg

Discs in!!

264.jpg

Landing gear straps made out of .032 brass. I cut the sheeting out were the straps are to recess them down into the wing, once it's all covered and painted the landing gear mounting should just disappear to the eye.

265.jpg

Last cap strip with a flair on the aft end to go around the rear "N" strut mound and flying wire tab.

266.jpg

I do believe that minus the wood inserts in the landing gear, the bottom wing is finished! :)

267.jpg

Now I get to start all over! lol

268.jpg

For some reason, I swear I've done this before....... ;) On to the top wing.