• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 25% Krier Kraft build, a tribute to grampa.

Alky6

150cc
I'm in! Wondering if this is any relation to Ken Krier in Ohio. He was the builder of my runabout race boats! Looking forward to it!

Bipeguy03

150cc
Thanks all! As I said, it will be awhile before I get to actually cutting and gluing any wood but I'm pretty excited about it!

I still have to finish drawing the formers, redraw the wing and completely redesign the horizontal tail as the original plan show a Bucker style stab and elevator. Luckily the Whitehead .60 size plans show the correct tail so I should be able to enlarge that drawing and design a truss.

Then it's on to stock piling wood foe the build!

Bipeguy03

150cc
I'm in! Wondering if this is any relation to Ken Krier in Ohio. He was the builder of my runabout race boats! Looking forward to it!

Not sure, Hal Krier was a farmer from Kansas that developed a love of flying in the air corps during WWII. I really only know his history in aviation, so it's possible!

Bipeguy03

150cc
Some plans for the equipment are:

DLE 35RA, it will not be 3D but this plane isn't meant for that anyway! lol
Falcon 18x8 Prop
Pro-Modeler S160DL High Voltage servos, I won't be putting the functional boost tabs but probably will immolating them.
Fromeco Li-ions
Smart-Fly Fiber Optic ignition kill

With Airtronics no more I will probably be switching to Futaba, so the RX will be whatever Futaba RX is HV capable ;)

Last edited:

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
WOW....your Granddad did an awesome job on that one, and I'm sure you're gonna repeat it!!! Here's a brief history of Harold from Airshow Wiki;

"Harold Krier joined the Army Air Corps and served as a Flight Engineer during World War II . After the war he earned his A&E license, learned to fly and started the airport in Ashland, KS that bears his name. In the late forties he built his first aerobatic airplane, a clipped wing cub, and taught himself aerobatics out of the old Air Corps primary flying manual. His interest in perfection led him through a series of airplanes - the Krier Kraft Acromaster , the Great Lakes Special and theChipmunk . With these, Harold represented the U.S. in competitions in Spain, Russia and Germany.

Harold was a master mechanic and builder of airplanes but he freely gave it all away to anyone who asked for help. He was a quiet man whose flying spoke louder than a shout. He flew for the pilots, not the crowd, and only the pilots in the crowd could fully appreciate the skill and smoothness with which he could perform any acrobatic maneuver. Perhaps more than any other individual, Harold Krier was responsible for the revival of aerobatics in this country in the fifties and early sixties.

The farm boy from Ashland, Kansas, is no longer among the aerobatic fraternity. He was killed spin testing a prototype airplane in Wichita, Kansas at 4:00 p.m. on July 6, 1971. There were no witnesses to the accident; but he was found about a half mile from the wreckage with his chute only partially opened and the spin chute installed on the aircraft torn away. Services were held for him in Ashland at 10:00 a.m. on Friday, July 9, 1971.

Source: http://icasfoundation.org/hof/view/Harold+Krier"

I remember watching Harold at airshows with my Dad when I was a kid. Little did I know that someday I would have my name engraved on the IAC trophy bearing his name.

Looking forward to watching this build :)