• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Question? 25, 30, or 35C?

Here's a newbie question: How do I know if I need a 25, 30 or 35C discharge rate battery? I am flying a couple of 35C 6S 5000mah batteries in my 65" Vyper but I could save some money if I bought a lower discharge rate battery.

Rick

gyro

GSN Contributor
Here's a newbie question: How do I know if I need a 25, 30 or 35C discharge rate battery? I am flying a couple of 35C 6S 5000mah batteries in my 65" Vyper but I could save some money if I bought a lower discharge rate battery.

Rick

Basically, the "C" rating is a LiPo battery's ability to discharge at a constant rate. For. 6s5000mah battery, 1C is 5 amps. So a 20c battery can discharge at 20 times 5a, so 100a constantly, without ruining the battery.

Battery selection depends on which motor you have and how much power you pull (in amps).
You very likely could buy a 25c battery and be just fine on the Vyper, as that would be 125a constant discharge rate... And I seriously doubt you're over 125a on your airplane.

Which batteries are you considering?

-Gary

Basically, the "C" rating is a LiPo battery's ability to discharge at a constant rate. For. 6s5000mah battery, 1C is 5 amps. So a 20c battery can discharge at 20 times 5a, so 100a constantly, without ruining the battery.

Battery selection depends on which motor you have and how much power you pull (in amps).
You very likely could buy a 25c battery and be just fine on the Vyper, as that would be 125a constant discharge rate... And I seriously doubt you're over 125a on your airplane.

Which batteries are you considering?

-Gary

That's what I figured. If the recommended ESC is 100A then someone has figured out the motor and prop doesn't need more than 100A. So, a 20C battery should be ok. I have some 25C batteries and a couple of 30C ones. I just wanted to make sure I would be ok with a 20C battery if I chose to go that way. I was also trying to understand the relationship to the ESC, motor, and prop in the absence of a suggested setup for some future plane.

I have Zippy and Gens Ace batteries for the Vyper and so far they seem fine. The 3s 1300mah Gens Ace batteries I bought for my Parkzone Gunfighter P-51 sure outperform the Parkzone batteries I used to use.

Rick

gyro

GSN Contributor
That's what I figured. If the recommended ESC is 100A then someone has figured out the motor and prop doesn't need more than 100A. So, a 20C battery should be ok. I have some 25C batteries and a couple of 30C ones. I just wanted to make sure I would be ok with a 20C battery if I chose to go that way. I was also trying to understand the relationship to the ESC, motor, and prop in the absence of a suggested setup for some future plane.

I have Zippy and Gens Ace batteries for the Vyper and so far they seem fine. The 3s 1300mah Gens Ace batteries I bought for my Parkzone Gunfighter P-51 sure outperform the Parkzone batteries I used to use.

Rick

Gens Ace are nice packs. The ones I currently use are sold by www.buddyrc.con and are called Glacier. While at 35c they may be a little more power than you'll need, I like that their 35c rating really means 35c. You may find in time that zippys do not maintain their c rating very well.

JToney

30cc
right on gyro.. zippys do get week .. and i notice the first couple flights are really weak and then they ... wake up ... and thier..."ok" .. I love my nano techs and glaciers .. i always like to get the next c rating up just so i know i'm not over working my batteries.. Maybe its all in my head but...

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
For me lately (6 months) its been Glacier, Gens, and EZ Flite Pro (Heads Up RC in FL)- 2S-6S. I like to maintain a little C buffer too. I run some 4S in EDFs and they like to puff batts! The others have had good staying power for a long time. Havent had the chance to try site sponsor Yellow Jacket yet!