• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 1/4 Scale 148" Shrike Commander

Patto

70cc twin V2
Agreed. Nothing like a "twin" set of...."twins". Know what I mean? The sound is just...crazy good music.

Absolutely. My concern is that they won't be enough power. I'm leaning toward two 55's. They'd make it necessary to cut up the cowls quite a bit though.

Patto

70cc twin V2
Okay, I know we're starting off a little slow. I just took possession of a new airplane trailer, so I will be working to get it all set up for hauling and storing our big planes. I'm hoping to get it mostly done tomorrow so that the build can resume.

Attachments

• received_290969391496558.jpeg
    received_290969391496558.jpeg
    875.4 KB · Views: 337

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Absolutely. My concern is that they won't be enough power. I'm leaning toward two 55's. They'd make it necessary to cut up the cowls quite a bit though.
I really hate cutting cowls. Especially on a twin where the engine pods are on the wings and are so darned noticeable. I think you would be surprised with the performance of the 40cc twins. I keep looking at different DS plans. As well as other projects. It is amazing to me that many, "MANY" gents have been flying these planes, (such as the DC 3, the B25, P38 and others) on the suggested engine sizes. Which one would think are so tiny. And these as you know are really big airplanes. Then I think about my goofy Hangar 9 B25 Mitchell I put together a few years back. If I remember correctly, the call was for a set of O.S. 46's. Four stroke equivalent was the 70. Being a Saito freak, I slapped in 72 four strokes. Did it have enough power? Well if you like flying a B25 at like 6,000 mph. and having the power to go 3d unlimited vertical. It really had awesome power to weight ratio. But then again, flight envelope performance is totally dependent on the AUW of an airframe. What do you think the Commander will come in at weight wise?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
That's the million dollar question. Since it is scaled up, I'm guessing about 40 lbs. It's just a guess though.
That's really not too bad. Considering its size. I keep thinking back to my old Lanier Extra 300 from eons ago. Heck, my buddy was the boss of the fields with his old and heavy Zenoas and the old early and massively heavy mighty dub engines. (Give you an idea how long ago that was? Lol) That was just right before I got my first ZDZ 80cc online twin. I equipped my Lanier Extra with a Moki 3.6 inline twin. Basically, a 60cc glow motor. You remember those right? By my standards now, it was not so big at 102" wing span. But heavier than a 747-400. 36 pounds at take off. It is crazy to think that we would fly a 35% airplane such as a pilot 107" Edge with a 60 cc motor. Heck, most of the 35% planes come in around 28 to 31 pounds. That said, my Lanier extra flew really well with that moki twin up front. It wasn't great vertical by no stretch of the imagination. But it flew it pretty nice. But then again, I only had 102 inches hangin' in the air. You'll have a 148 inches out stretched. Too bad the 60 twins wont fit your cowls. Or will they??