• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Your Thoughts on An Electric System for a 73" SU-26

FlyMike1

70cc twin V2
I recently bought the Edge from the General and its not that bad. Motrofly 4325 and ZTW 125A ESC, Unfortunately my ESC popped and sparks flew out on the third time arming it. It let me bind my new RX and set throttle end points. The motor was running backwards so I went to plug the batter in again and change the setting to reverse the motor and pop, sparks. Ruined my new RX also. But the cheap plane is not that bad, sitting here waiting for new stuff.
http://www.generalhobby.com/skyline-edge-701778mm-aerobatic-airplane-p-471.html

gyro

GSN Contributor
I recently bought the Edge from the General and its not that bad. Motrofly 4325 and ZTW 125A ESC, Unfortunately my ESC popped and sparks flew out on the third time arming it. It let me bind my new RX and set throttle end points. The motor was running backwards so I went to plug the batter in again and change the setting to reverse the motor and pop, sparks. Ruined my new RX also. But the cheap plane is not that bad, sitting here waiting for new stuff.
http://www.generalhobby.com/skyline-edge-701778mm-aerobatic-airplane-p-471.html

Hate to ask, or imply a mistake, but is there a chance you attempted to plug in backwards? This doesn't sound like a ZTW type of failure, it sounds like a reversed power situation. However anything can fail, ZTW included.

FlyMike1

70cc twin V2
Hate to ask, or imply a mistake, but is there a chance you attempted to plug in backwards? This doesn't sound like a ZTW type of failure, it sounds like a reversed power situation. However anything can fail, ZTW included.

Everything is new so I took every precaution. Not sure the plug will let me plug it in backwards or not, but I always look at the wires when I plug something In. Yeah it must have been a fluke, or something else but truthfully I dont know. I really wish I could say. The ESC let me bind my receiver, set the throttle high to low range, and the motor worked three times before I tried to go into the program mode and switch the motor to spin the other way as it was running in reverse mode. I soldered it directly to the motor. I ordered a new one (same one) and I'm very happy. Maiden the plane and everything works great. I sent the blown one back and received an email that a new one was being shipped. I talked to Ole on the phone a number of times and he said he will send it back to the factory so they can try and see what happen. If they say I did something wrong then I will be very happy to pay for it. And i wouldnt worry about it happening to you. There are not times when something like this will happen, but when dealing with electronics anything can happen. It just does. I'm going to use the ZTW in all my electric planes. Except for the EF extra I just bought as I got the combo with motor and esc. The other ZTW is going into my 3DHS Velox :)

FlyMike1

70cc twin V2
OH, I soldered a Jeti anti spark connector on the red battery wire and female jeti on the black wire of the battery and males on the esc. I plugged the black in first and, as soon as I touched the red it popped. There's now way I reversed that...

gyro

GSN Contributor
OH, I soldered a Jeti anti spark connector on the red battery wire and female jeti on the black wire of the battery and males on the esc. I plugged the black in first and, as soon as I touched the red it popped. There's now way I reversed that...

Are you reassuring yourself? :)

No joke, I just cooked a CC BEC pro a hour ago when I reversed polarity on the plugs I attached to the ESC battery wires. LOUD pop, small puff of smoke, I thought I had another bad product, and then I looked at the colors. My mistake :(

Ordered a ZTW 12A BEC to replace it. $35 mistake...

SnowDog

Are you reassuring yourself? :)

No joke, I just cooked a CC BEC pro a hour ago when I reversed polarity on the plugs I attached to the ESC battery wires. LOUD pop, small puff of smoke, I thought I had another bad product, and then I looked at the colors. My mistake :(

Ordered a ZTW 12A BEC to replace it. $35 mistake...

I didn't know ZTW made a 12A BEC! Where did you find it?

FlyMike1

70cc twin V2
Sorry to hear that!! Must have been heart wrenching!!! How did you mistake red and black lol? Yeah the black was still plugged in while I was staring at it to see what I did wrong, That was my first thought. What did I do wrong LOL. I always second guess myself, especially when I cant find a reason :) I told Ole that I wish it was something that I could explain, that I did wrong so I wont do it again. The plug to the RX had a hole and was burnt so yeah it looks like the power reversed somehow. I wish I had my Mobius running when it happened. I'm sure there are a few that make noticeable mistakes and claim faulty product. I take pride in honesty to the fact of leaving my wife recently for her dishonesty. I only have friends that are honest so I dont have many LOL. I have money so I dont need to claim anything to get back something for free. Like I said I will continue to use the ZTW line of esc's in all my planes except the combo packages :) No worries