• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Wing rock

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Funny.....
Funny thing happened a few weeks ago while out at my local field. Got into a discussion with a full scale pilot, about lift. He was bound and determined to disagree with me about how each side of the wing works, in regards to lift. He, of course, is an RC pilot too. He lost the covering on the top side of his Sweet Stick wing, while flying inverted. Said he was losing lift when he rolled over to upright. I said no way. I also said, that when you are upright, the bottom of the wing generates lift, the top used gravity, to hold the airplane down. He flat told me I was wrong. Told him that he needed to continue to do what he does, and I will do what I do and that is have fun! :)

Back to our regularly scheduled program.
he needs to re-think the whole lift thing :confused:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I don't like the spoiler on method as you have to turn it off to go inverted or fly normally. The better thing to do is either get the wing fully stalled or attached. Maybe try SFGs or vortex generators.

Yup, I added SFG's to a Pilot 50cc Extra that wing rocked like a mutha. That and some blips of the throttle to equalize the torque and it became a harrier machine!

I find that the SFG's helped the airplane track a smidge better, not that others have different results. I've had airplanes that had wing rock in harriers. I've had airplanes that 3D extremely well at a heavy nose heavy CG. I got that nose higher for high alpha and the rock went away. :) My .01c worth of advice.

emtp275

100cc
I have used the SFG's but not recently it was once or twice playing around with some Knife Edge stuff But Ill try it all next time LOL

Basically the effect you are looking for is to keep the air from slipping off the wing tips. The SFGs act as a stall fence and trap the air on top of the wing. It effectively raises your stall angle and will calm the wing rock down at high alpha. I have found though that sometimes SFGs can make inverted harrier a little wacky, and I'm not sure I know why.

Skyluc

50cc
ailerons mix pointing up is very usefull if you want to perform very violent lomcevaks/crankshafts

Last edited: