• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Wind Correction Recommendations

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
In a perfect world, and with the exception of stalled maneuvers (hammerhead, spin, tail slides and snap rolls) everything else would be flown on the exact same line on the x axis.

That is until you have a 1/4, 3/4, 1+1/4, or 1+3/4 roll/spin on an up or down line which will exit on the y axis. Of course, during those stalled maneuvers listed above the aircraft will be blown downwind so will not be on the same line after execution. I included snap rolls because properly done they will displace the aircraft (and flight track) towards the rudder direction used in the snap....and no down grade for that displacement.

BUT....we (at least I) have never flown in a perfect world....and no one has ever flown a perfect sequence! :eek:

Alky6

150cc
OK! I think I understand now. For all intent and purpose, I can assume that all maneuvers with no y-axis exits should occur in the x-z plane. The water is getting clearer! Look forward to implementing some flat turn practice sessions! Thank you!!!

tl3

50cc
Yes, however - there is always a "however"- with respect to hammerheads, the pivot may take place within one full wingspan before it is subject to downgrade. This would describe a pivot that occurs with the wing tip as the center point of the radius. Once the pivot exceeds one full wingspan you become subject to a 1 point dowgrade per 1/2 wingspan. So, in hammerheads your vertical upline and downlines may occur on parallel tracks with no downgrade...to a degree.

Last edited:
Man, this is a lot of good information. Just shows me I have a lot to learn before I get to enter a Basic competition. Keep it coming.

thurmma

150cc
Man, this is a lot of good information. Just shows me I have a lot to learn before I get to enter a Basic competition. Keep it coming.

Practice helps, but trust me, go to a contest! It will help you understand how everything flows and you will meet people that will be more than willing to help you get on the right track. My first contest was early this year and @BikeRacer was at the contest and was a tremendous help along with encouragement to continue. Continue I did and ended up with 2 - 2nd place finishes along with a 3rd place finish out of 5 contests. I managed to finish 3rd in our region for the season and also received a local Rookie of the Year award for our region. I had a blast and will be moving to Sportsman next year. Can't wait for winter to be here and gone so I can compete again :)

Thanks for the encouragement thurmma. I'm like you I'm wanting winter to get here and gone so I can get back out there and practice, practice, practice! :) I'm going to try and hit my simulator this winter to try and figure out the names of maneuvers. I'm also going to get my planes ready for next summer, making a few changes to my 28% Wild Hare and my BME YAK 54.