• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Why do you love this hobby?

TazmanianDevil

Xtreme by DeFinition !
I'll tell you why I love this hobby.
Because it's all about friends.
Every where you go in the globe you actually meet with friends ! Even though it's the first time you see them or having a chat with them you will always find the common ground and a subject to talk about.
And you will always bet a bear...or two...or three...ok I'm drunk let's fly a kite.

It's very fun and a way to escape the day to day BS that we deal with in every day life, get to meet up with others that like to do the same and talk about the hobby. And you always seem to learn something new from fellow fliers, everyone is different and that makes it great.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
I have had a hard time coming up with something to share since this thread was started, so I guess it's time. I started out into RC right after a short stint in control line in 1970 and I was hooked. I kit built and later scratch built everything including making bass wood plugs for custom helicopter bodies. Another discussion for how we did it back before cad. I sold all of my RC gear to get into full size and had enough money from selling my stuff to get my private and instrument rating. 4,300 hours later I sold my Piper Arrow and got back into RC and never looked back. Grand kids these days keep me from spending too much money on planes but the fun remains, - the friendships remain, & the challenge remains the same. What more can you ask for in a hobby.

jlmold

50cc
For me it's about the friendships, old and new. It's so much fun to create a new friend at a flyin. I have been in rc since I was 8 years old. Started out racing 12th scale cars in the winter and then into 1/8 scale during the summer. I have done rc sailboats, floatscale planes and just about everything I've tried at least once. But for me it's about building projects with 4 or 5 guys being involved. Going to Joe Nall in the whale, you know who I am if you know what the Wale is.

I love this hobby because of the thrill of being in charge of the flight of an airplane. I started late when I retired. My brother gave me a kit for a Kadet and a transmitter. We did U-control when we were kids and I did enjoy building models the 1940's way. I wondered what I would do with it. I got bored the first winter and built the kit. Spring came and I looked for a club. Meet this great guy 10 years younger than me and he became my mentor. Never forget my first solo. I climbed that Kadet up high and did a hammer head. Lew, my mentor said, why did you do that? My answer was because I felt as free as a bird and that felt good. We enjoyed flying from glow to gas and IMAC. Of course I could never have survived retirement without the great guys I met along the way and the friends that keep me going still. Learning about all that it takes to make a plane fly was great and moving along with the fast pace of improved technology kept my brain healthy It always did feel good to get a plane in the air and the feeling of freedom I get when doing that.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Fond memories of my Dad who loved his only son. The numerous cox models that came apart in the air because the fuel residue would dissolve the contact cement that held it together after the first flight. The first RC plane and engine that would never fly but make a burning desire inside me to run the engine and want to fly it. The countless hours daydreaming of a radio that would never be bought. The tether cars that fascinated us both. The model trains that developed my ingenuity to replicate the fancy of life in my own miniature world. A dream come true because of a Dad who loved his only son.

doublea

100cc
Sorry sleepy,
Should have looked a little closer. The thread I started is pretty close to your thread here. If you feel it to be reason to shut it down there would be no harm done.

That being out of the way.
I am 36 now, I started when I was 9. My father started to carry me to the field. Being my father and I didn't have a very strong relationship I cherished the time we spent.
I truly began with a Goldberg gentle lady. With a powerpod. I then stepped up to a PT40. Man I miss those days. My father pursued different interest. So he and I grew apart. I still after all these years keep going back to it because I guess maybe one day we will connect again. Or I can only hope.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Sorry sleepy,
Should have looked a little closer. The thread I started is pretty close to your thread here. If you feel it to be reason to shut it down there would be no harm done.

That being out of the way.
I am 36 now, I started when I was 9. My father started to carry me to the field. Being my father and I didn't have a very strong relationship I cherished the time we spent.
I truly began with a Goldberg gentle lady. With a powerpod. I then stepped up to a PT40. Man I miss those days. My father pursued different interest. So he and I grew apart. I still after all these years keep going back to it because I guess maybe one day we will connect again. Or I can only hope.

I truly hope you do re-connect. I have two sons now getting in their 30's and I am a "back burner" dad. Was always close to my mother and father and believe it or not THREE SISTERS!!! Aughhhhhhhhhh!

doublea

100cc
I truly hope you do re-connect. I have two sons now getting in their 30's and I am a "back burner" dad. Was always close to my mother and father and believe it or not THREE SISTERS!!! Aughhhhhhhhhh!

Not trying to go for the sob stories.
I hope to reconnect. I also can't stand to always be told that I should "Let it go" I know that one should be the bigger man. I have reorganized to try to be around him but I seem to get no return effort.
All i ask is for him to do is set aside some of his time during his busy retirement schedule to do something that I like to do or have interest in. I don't think some realize how easy it would be to try to find things that truly mean something to one another and spend time doing exactly that.

Again no sob stories.