• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Question? Which wattmeter

I have some small lipos that I suspect are bad and want to see each individual cell under load. Anyone have a suggestion on a wattmeter or other device that would be good to use?

this is the one I have: http://www.quantumhobby.com/Lipo-Voltage-Checker-GHHC0599-p/ghhc0599.htm

plug this into the balance port, and put the load on. It'll cycle through each cell with the exact voltage.

For a more exact reading, this one is a little more hi tech: http://www.quantumhobby.com/product-p/gpmm3220.htm

I have a hyperion eos sentry I guess I could use. Just plug the balance tap in and throttle up then scroll through each cell to check

I should get a watt meter though. Been messing with my foamies lately and like using different props.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I have a hyperion eos sentry I guess I could use. Just plug the balance tap in and throttle up then scroll through each cell to check

I should get a watt meter though. Been messing with my foamies lately and like using different props.

Don't fly a new plane till I run it up on the wattmeter first, and then again every time I change to a different prop.
:)

njswede

150cc
...and when you get new batteries, as fresh good batteries can easily deliver 30% more current than old bad ones.

wedoitall

i also need to get a wattmeter. where can i find information on proper procedure and technique of using a wattmeter. im sure i can figure it out if i watts needed is know, but what if i dont have that info...... just wondering if you guys know right off hand of any good sites that can show me what i need about wattmeters with rc planes.

njswede

150cc
I'm contemplating whether I should write a few articles explaining the basic concepts on RC model electrics. This is something I would cover...

However, using a wattmeter is very simple. They basically have two functions:

* Plug it in to the battery, and it will tell you the voltage.
* Plug it in between the battery and the ESC, allowing the current to flow through it, and it will tell you the voltage, current (amps) and power (wattage). It is extremely important to make sure power and current are within the limits for your equipment, since current and power is what generates heat if you push your stuff past the limit.

wedoitall

i know that your pretty busy feller but I think if you did a write up, that would be outstanding. like the way you explain things.
so for the most part as long as i know ohms law i'd should be ok?

l up till the TH edge i just flew BNF and PNP. but those days are just about over.

i did just find this information on uses of a wattmeter, found this info and more @ http://www.rc-cars-planes.com/airplane-watt-meter-applications.html

can you think of anything else that needs to be added to this list?

RC Airplane Watt Meter Applications

Here are a few examples of RC Plane Watt Meter Applications.
1.Find electrical problems causing crashes or erratic behavior
2.Prevent peak currents damaging battery, speed control, motor, wiring and connectors
3.Verify not exceeding your battery's discharge and charge rates
4.Verify that the minimum voltage under load is within specifications
5.Check servo currents are not exeeding BEC or battery limits and causing stalls
6.Maximize battery pack power by checking cell balance of individual cells in ANY chemistry
7.Verify battery capacity and health and whether battery should be retired
8.Measure a full battery charge and compare to spec when charger claims done
9.Ensure getting a full charge on your RC batteries and maximum runtime
10.Set speed control cutoff voltages and currents to prevent battery damage
11.Detect stalled servos exceeding current limits
12.Tune performance by comparing different setups of propeller, motor, gearing, speed control and battery
13.Predict airplane flight time based on ACTUAL conditions in your model
14.Verify components have compatible specifications
15.Check for wiring and connector power losses
16.Measure power and energy consumption of ANY device with a battery

I use a Wattsup wattmeter. It's not the cheapest option, but it can handle 100 amps and is accurate. And I agree with Swede, it is an essential piece of equipment if you are flying electric for all the reasons stated above.