• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D When is a plane used up?

BalsaDust

I'm with spats rarely ever do I get the heat gun out. Really only if I have a stuborn wrinkle. Not sure what it is about it but I have found the planes I shrink the covering with the iron on don't seem to have covering that starts sagging in the sunlight.

M

Matt

@cbarnes0061 i am with you I almost never use a heat gun when covering a new airplane... I think that is why most arfs, the covering sags and looks like a wrinkled old lady in the sun is because in China they cover with heat guns and very little iron use

The last two covering jobs I did I really did not use the heat gun much. I have gone mostly away from it. I keep the iron hot and just barely touch the surface as I move it.
Heat gun has no use for me on fully sheeted surfaces. Its a good foam melter, if anything. And to shrink heat shrink tubing.

All my MonoKote jobs I have done, and repaired, have no bubbles, lifts, etc..... UltraCote is a very different story.

I use a heat gun very sparingly on open bay surfaces, like ailerons, elevators, and the rudder. It is a good way to induce a warp. Other than that, my heat gun collects dust.

Also, the key to MonoKote is prep work. The more prep work, the better. Sand down with 220, hair spray the entire airframe wood only. Let it dry, then hit it again with 220. Tack rag or vacuum your airframe. Run the covering iron at 325F with a sock.

Spats

100cc
I started pulling some covering off before I had it fully disassemble just to get look at some old repairs. Taking the covering off is a slow job. You cannot just rip it off or it will take some wood with it and then there are the spots where it is melted into the wood. Be prepared for surprises :eek: after doing this enough times I have learned just how shocking it can be. I have come across areas that I have no idea how they were holding together. I was hoping to get most covering removed but due to a ANOTHER GP engine problem I need to replace an engine on the plane I plan to fly at the @Joe Hunt event in a couple weeks. I am so tired of getting a GP engine back from repair just to have another one go bad. I decided tonight I am replacing ALL my GP engines with ZDZ's in the next two months. Sorry to vent but I am so frustrated:devil::devil::devil:
Anyone who wants a GP cheap I'm having a fire sale starting Now! $650 for 176evo's shipped.

Attachments

• 20151229_153643_resized_1.jpg
    20151229_153643_resized_1.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 295

BalsaDust

I know the feeling man. When I restored an old kadet SR for a buddy the whole thing just about fell into a bunch of pieces when I pulled the covering off. Not sure how it stayed in the air.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Super bummer on your engines man, your probably their #1 customer, kinda sucks. Better days and more power ahead though.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I started pulling some covering off before I had it fully disassemble just to get look at some old repairs. Taking the covering off is a slow job. You cannot just rip it off or it will take some wood with it and then there are the spots where it is melted into the wood. Be prepared for surprises :eek: after doing this enough times I have learned just how shocking it can be. I have come across areas that I have no idea how they were holding together. I was hoping to get most covering removed but due to a ANOTHER GP engine problem I need to replace an engine on the plane I plan to fly at the @Joe Hunt event in a couple weeks. I am so tired of getting a GP engine back from repair just to have another one go bad. I decided tonight I am replacing ALL my GP engines with ZDZ's in the next two months. Sorry to vent but I am so frustrated:devil::devil::devil:
Anyone who wants a GP cheap I'm having a fire sale starting Now! $650 for 176evo's shipped.
Sorry about your woes on you GP's Randy. I just could never get mine running well. It was either set the needles as per suggestion and it was a dog, nearly lost the Sukhoi once. Or set them the way I set everything else...including my DLE's and my 3dubs and it would run but just not consistent. Of the eleven flights I put on it, I was on edge every flight wondering if it was going to keep running or die at a really bad time. I have been very pleased with the 3W 170 I purchased. The ZDZ's will no doubt be a very good choice.

I've been using my heat gun religiously to remove covering. Heat a corner, lift with hobby knife, hold gun about three inches from covering making paths back and forth and that stuff just lifts right off in complete sheets. No fuss, no muss. Even the melted into the wood covering comes right up leaving zero covering. Ultracote seems to come up better than Monokote, but both lift away. Just a thought in case you had not tried this.

Spats

100cc
I should have said using the heat gun makes it easier. When I really get into the removal I will be using it. It does cut down on the work.

I am still trying to come up with a scheme that will look good and is not to difficult to cover. I may even deviate from my green. Yes I said it, a different color:ooh?: