• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

What about expo?

BalsaDust

My Futaba 8J that I use I have the stick tension as tight as I can get it and would like it to be a little tighter. I also fly with a little longer sticks as I pinch the sticks instead of thumbs.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
3daviator;2979 wrote: I don't like too much expo, but I do like a lot of spring tension.

Agree, I don't like to move a lot since I find that easier to control rollers so I pump my spring tension all the way up and I typically set up so all surfaces are maxed and 35-45% Expo on Elevator and Aileron to start and from zero to 25% on rudder depending on how it feels. I set the expo on the rudder based on how rollers lock in in relation to the elevator.

I rarely use rates unless I want to set up something specifically for IMAC but normally revert back to just high rates only.

Friend of mine told me a story about QQ and expo settings. He told me that QQ flew with 80% expo. He got to fly it, and he told QQ that there flet like something was wrong. Then QQ flew his airplane, and told him, that his airplane was "uncontrollable" with 30% expo!

Expo is a personal preference, as are switch positions and where the DR switch is at. No 2 pilots radios are/will be set up the same.

I've had people ask me to set up their radio systems and values. They tell me to set it up for me. I tell them no. I will set it up for them and their comfort, not how I want it.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
bigblueswope;2914 wrote: I'm amazed at how high so many people run their expo. It just makes the plane not do anything for a really long while and then all the sudden, BAM MAX DEFLECTION!

On 3 rates I'm something like 15-25-35or45%.

Hmmm..... good point. I believe I have like 60 or 70% on my Pilot Edge. HS 7954's for servos. Very quick. At first I hated it. Way too "sudden" when attempting hovering. Now acclimating to the smaller movements of my sticks. Seems to be coming around. But maybe still a little much. Perhaps a reduction is in order? Glad this question was asked by OP.

It is fun to experiment with settings and such. Settle on something you like, and don't change it! ;)

I use alot of expo because I shake alot while flying. The expo doesn't make the airplane jump around like a crackfiend needing a fix!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Bunky F. Knuckle;3930 wrote: It is fun to experiment with settings and such. Settle on something you like, and don't change it! ;)

I use alot of expo because I shake alot while flying. The expo doesn't make the airplane jump around like a crackfiend needing a fix!

Ya know? My son is that exact way...you'd think he was starvin' for his next fix. Shakes really bad while he is flying... but I have never seen anyone sooo silky smooth on the sticks. The kid is good.....

nearhigh

30cc
On 3D rate 60 to 70 % low rates 20 to 30 % mid rates in between the other rates. Like everyone said, what feels best for U.

TazmanianDevil

Xtreme by DeFinition !
Bunky F. Knuckle;3699 wrote: Friend of mine told me a story about QQ and expo settings. He told me that QQ flew with 80% expo. He got to fly it, and he told QQ that there flet like something was wrong. Then QQ flew his airplane, and told him, that his airplane was "uncontrollable" with 30% expo!

Expo is a personal preference, as are switch positions and where the DR switch is at. No 2 pilots radios are/will be set up the same.

I've had people ask me to set up their radio systems and values. They tell me to set it up for me. I tell them no. I will set it up for them and their comfort, not how I want it.

+1

My setup is low and high. Just two.

Low is about 30% on most of the surfaces and 80-70 on the high.

Most of the flight I fly with the low only when I fly aggressive maneuvers I switch to high I.e TQ, flat spin, knife spin, wall etc.

the thing is to switch fast between the two in a way it won't break the sequence.

Have fun and fly safe.

Giant scale news

Skyking;2049 wrote: Low Rate=15-20%

Mid Rate=25-30%

High/3D Rate=40-45%

Those are the values I typically start out with. It keeps it soft enough around center that you can still be precise on High/3D rate if need be. It's really about the law of primacy and what you start off using and what you get used to. Those are the values that work for me. But... It's different for everyone.

This is pretty much me. One of my flying buddies flew only extremely high expo (up into 65%+) until I pointed out how much precision control he lost when nearing max stick deflection... his flying improved dramatically when he cut back to 30s-40s. I think newer pilots tend to overdo the expo thinking it will make them smoother and don't realize how negatively it affects them when they start flying 3D.