• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Wendell Hostetler 30% Piper Cherokee Glass Fuselage Build.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I’ve got more kits that I will ever build. I like classic pattern a lot and have multiple kits with the wing cores already cut. My aeronautical engineer uncle always designed his own planes so I did some foam cutting with him but never got around to cutting anything for myself.

I've spent all my time cutting out balsa ribs on scratch built planes so far. But I think foam cores might be a little easier to do once I get everything set up. I've built a lot of foam core kits.

TonyHallo

150cc
Cut a core for the stabalator tip plug. Been playing around with interior details as well, trying to figure out how to make a mold of the yoke.

IMG_3003.jpg
IMG_3004.jpg
IMG_3005.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
I think I'm done with the hot wire bow for a while. Cut a 12" section of the wing tip profile to make molds for the wing tips. Planning to use foam to fashion the plugs, too much balsa would be wasted. On the flip side my pile of heavy 1/8" balsa sheet is getting smaller, kind of happy, too heavy to use for building and too cheap to throw it away!
Happy New Year from the Cherokee Build Thread.

IMG_3006 (1).jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Wing Tips, not shoes!
First the foam blanks are rough cut to the airfoil shape and glued onto the short wing section. The wing tip curvature was copied off the three and laid out, a template was made so that both sides are nearly identical. Then the foam was sanded down to the balsa sheeting. Then stations are laid out and the centerline of the tip was plotted, half the thickness is also laid out on the top and bottom. A Stanley Surform takes the bulk off quickly, then sanded with 60, 80 , and finally 220. The dents and hole are then filled and will be ready to glass.

IMG_3007.jpg
IMG_3012.jpg
IMG_3014.jpg
IMG_3015.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Hi Tony need some advice. As you know I have designed and scratch build several planes but all have been Sport or 3D planes or just something to go fast but never scale. I am in process of building this Taylorcraft and the weight is scaring me. It getting heavier all the time. So hear is my question what is normal and what is the upper limit you would say that is pushing it.
So to explain my self. In what I build and fly I try to build from 6 to 9 Wing cubic loading. If you are not familiar with this expression let me know. Most people use lbs/ sq.ft or something like that which I found not to be very useful, it changes with plane size.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ounces per square foot? I know there's a formula.
Oz per square ft is useless number it changes per plane and size so it is not comparable from one to another. What I am trying find out is what loading is acceptable to for a scale model aeroplane.