• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Wendell Hostetler 30% Piper Cherokee Glass Fuselage Build.

TonyHallo

150cc
Pulled the tail cone out of the mold, fits great. Working on the plug for the rudder Got a block of EPS glued up for the stabalator plug. For over thirty years been cutting foam with .025 steel MIG wire, for whatever reason I decided to try nichrome wire. got 100' of 26 and 28 gage to try, it's about half of the diameter so I'm thinking it may cut easier since it's melting less foam. Hope my power supply is up to the task since it has more resistance. It is getting harder to find EPS foam in my area, must be an EPA thing?

Wishing you a MERRY CHRISRMAS.

IMG_2994.jpg
IMG_2995.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
So start with the 28 gage nichrome wire with my existing power supply, a low voltage lighting transformer. Doesn't even feel hot. Next try the 26 gage, barely warm. Test voltage and learn it is 12 VAC, now what? Then I remember somewhere I have a transformer that was salvaged from onboard boat charger, 26 VAC. Hook it up and seems OK, maybe a little hot. Cut the foam great with less effort than my previous cuttings. Plan to mount the transformer on an electrical box with dimmer the control the temperature.

Getting to use up some of the heavy balsa sheets that have accumulated, these three 3 x 36 pieces were over 40 grams per sheet, I'm pretty sure the sheets I used on the first WH Cherokee were under 30 grams.. Since this is only a plug weight is of no concern. Attached the skin with Gorilla glue and have two layers of 2 ounce cloth on. Still working between the Cherokee and the Champ, needed to make two wing ribs and bow tip. Thankfully I saved the jig for the ribs, had to make a new buck for wing bow however.

One of the clubs I belong is having an informal get together on Friday, I plan to take the Cherokee fuselage for show and tell. Thankfully I saved the shipping cradle.Started estimating the mold cost today, looking at about $400 in materials, not sure what the shipping is on a 5 gallon bucket of resin will be?
IMG_2275.jpg

IMG_2996.jpg
IMG_2997.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Mounted the transformer and hooked up a dimmer switch. Can control the current between 1 and 2 1/2 amps. I think 2 amps may be a good setting.
The corrugations went much smoother on the stabalator. I think that all the wood was about the same density so it seemed to cut better. Rather than harden with CA I decided the paint the grooves thin epoxy. We'll see how things play out.
Blocked the fuselage with 1/2 sheet sanding block and 400 grit wet paper, it's ready for paint. Doing a little research and might just use epoxy to make the mold. Apparently it takes about three time more polyester than epoxy. I can get 2 gallons of epoxy for less than the 5 gallon pale. The glass may cost a little more but have to deal with the odor.

IMG_2998.jpg
IMG_3002.jpg