• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Wendell Hostetler 30% PA-28 Cherokee Build

-Rick-

100cc
Lepage's 100% Glue in a little red bottle works great for installing windows, canopy's. I have been using it for a while and it works great.

-Rick-

100cc
If you run out of the 560 let me know and I will mail a few bottles to you. I used it last night again to glue a canopy on to my second Vertigo. For me it is much easier to find than the 560 canopy glue.

TonyHallo

150cc
Thank you Rick.
Put a coat of Rustoleum Stone Gray on the inside of the canopy. Same gray used on the Champ.
Started making the plugs for the windows. The DAP website instructions suggest makin a mold release mixture of mineral spirits and petroleum jelly mixed to a watery consistency and applied with a brush to the inside of the mold, previously I used Pam spray for a release agent, will see what works better. It took three 4 pound batches of plaster to fill for the right side windows. The mold was tapped to release air bubbles afterr each batch was placed. Need to wait another 1/2 hour before removing. Made the plugs bigger than necessary in hopes that the PETG sheet will stretch a little thinner. The plugs will also be elevated while forming.

IMG_2096.jpg
IMG_2095.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
The plug for the windshield took 24 pounds of plaster. Was hoping to be a little smaller but that is not the case. Put some foam inside to minimize plaster. The suggested mold release works great, the side window plugs just about fell out.

IMG_2097.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Installed 1/2" dowels drilled and counterbored for 4-40 socket head screws to hold the canopy on. The canopy is now mounted, now that this is completed the final filling and sanding will commence and the covering will begin. Opened the window opening on the left side and I plan to open the right side door window to make the dash installation easier. The dash is on order and I should have it next week so say tuned. I have been tossing around the idea of using Missile Red rather than the sky blue used on the original Cherokee, same scheme however. The window plugs are still drying out, I put them out in the sun everyday and they remain cold to touch due to the evaporation of the water.

IMG_2100.jpg