• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Welders Help

Spats

100cc
Not sure where to put this maybe the trailer thread would have been better as this is for my trailer. I am by no means a great welder but my welds are strong. I have a small Lincoln welder, no gas. The mask that came with it is old and broke so I went to Home Depot and got the most expensive one thinking it would be fine. Here is my problem; it doesn't get dark enough. welding is so bright I can't see what I am welding. After a couple times of use my eyes started to burn. So is the $100 mask junk? What do I need to look for when buying one? This is only for occasional use.

Thank you in advance

BalsaDust

Is it an auto darkening helmet? If so it probably has an adjustment for how dark it gets. If its just a standard one look up the manufacture and you should be able to get a darker lense for it.

Spats

100cc
Yes it has an adjustment but doesn't seem to change anything. Good idea, I'll look up the helmet. Thank you

Alky6

150cc
if it doesn't dim when you strike the arc, check the batteries. Mine does this when the batt voltage gets low and it is similar to wearing dark glasses - will even bother your eyes using a cutting torch after a while.

jon595

50cc
If it has a sensitivity adjustment it might be set too high. In the area that you are welding in, look at a source of light while wearing the helmet and wave your hand in front of the lens. It should auto darken. Adjust the sensitivity until it darkens. If it will not darken at all its the batteries. Some helmets do not have replaceable batteries. Good luck.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Lot of low quality stuff available where you bought the helmet. Perhaps a welding supply store has better helmets.

Spats

100cc
Exchanged it and the new one works great. not sure what it was with the other one. Maybe it was the battery thing. Thanks for all the suggestions.

:):):)

Exchanged it and the new one works great. not sure what it was with the other one. Maybe it was the battery thing. Thanks for all the suggestions.

:):):)
Try to find a "Weiler Welding" store, and get a Miller auto darkening helmet. Or you can order one from McMaster. Just make sure it is a Miller, as they rock!

BalsaDust

Try to find a "Weiler Welding" store, and get a Miller auto darkening helmet. Or you can order one from McMaster. Just make sure it is a Miller, as they rock!

Yes they do rock. We use a lot of Jackson and Pro Safe brand helmets where I work. The Pro Safe on I have is bad ass other than I wish it didn't use batteries. Sucks that time you go to strike and arc and the batteries have died.