• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Weatronic bat 64 transmitter

dougb

50cc
If you look to the computer industry, open source isn't the answer to all problems. I agree it has many advantages. I'm not sure how it will play out in RC especially with more "non-hobbyist" users now that sUAV's are going big time.

One other interesting tidbit is that FrSky seems to be working on their own firmware for their Tx. Not sure if it will be closed or open.

Anyway, great time to be in the hobby. Exciting changes and technology. :)

Doug B.

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
That's what I like about my FrSky Taranis.....you can buy their receivers and use their system/firmware or plug in other modules and use your existing receivers, I'll use Spektrum as an example in this case.

Let's say a person has 15 airplanes and is currently using their favorite brand X radio, so that's one radio and heavily invested in 15 receivers. Then a cool new radio comes out, the big dilemma is.....will they be willing to reinvest an average of say $110 per receiver, depending on number of channels needed, that comes to $1650.00 plus the cost of the radio. The average person is going to take a look at those numbers and probably determine that it's not a very realistic investment.

With an open source radio and being able to use your existing receivers, it will be easier for the average person to swallow the investment in just the cool new radio.

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Oh man a cross platform TX that would cover at the very least all major brands would be the only way to go. So long as they make it so the average Joe can work and understand how to program it..