• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Wanting to start again

Grey

New to GSN!
Hey guys I'm new here from northshore area in Louisiana. I use to fly back in the early 2000s until my mother past away in 06. Fast forward 10 years and have recently been finding myself watching alot of youtube videos amazed at how far things have come for the hobby. Im wanting to get back in, but with how much things have changed idk where to start equipment wise to purchase.

I was looking at the spectrum dx6 transmitter/receiver combos, but as far as motors, esc, bec, and lipo batteries i really dont know where to start.

I'm wanting to do foam plane park flyers with a possible pvc setup so any info on the things i will need would be greatly appreciated (ie sizes for motor, esc, bec, servos and lipo battery). Brands to stay away from and go with would be awsome too. Thanx for reading and all knowledge past over would be great!

Bipenut53

150cc
Welcome to the sit [MENTION=4430]Grey[/MENTION]!! Well you picked a good site to ask questions on. We are a friendly, helpful bunch of people here. Have you done any flying in the last 10 years? Foamy airplanes are a great place to start back into it. Feel free to ask any Bobby related questions you may have and you will get the help and if you don't understand, just say it... Not judgemental here at all
Dennis

Grey

New to GSN!
Thanks [MENTION=3348]Bipenut[/MENTION], my last set up was 3d indoor self made off of a eflite template i used at a local group in portland oregon. Ive flown a couple things here and there since that weren't mine (friends/relatives gifts that wanted to know how to fly Theres). no indoor areas i can use where i live now in slidell, la. Im just looking for a good outdoor 4ch set up good for a broad range of aircraft designs to start back up again.

Bipenut53

150cc
Ok well there is some really good foamys that will fly good outside one of them is the Veloxity from Twisted Hobbys, and another is the 39" Crack Yak I have the 39" Crack Yak myself and it is a blast to fly!! It is fully 3D capable and flys well in the wind. Both are made from EPP foam. To assemble them you would want to go with Foam Tac glue although Welders works fine too but it does yellow over time. The nice thing about EPP foam is you can use regular CA to field repair it and it holds up fine. Both airplanes are from Twisted Hobbys. I am doing a build and review on the Light RC Rebel Z. It is building up to be a pretty stiff airframe for out doors as well. The Twisted Hobbys site has power and servo combinations you can choose from. Those are a few choices... If those don't suit your fancy there are more. I just don't want to overload you lol

Grey

New to GSN!
For a power system (prop, motor esc,bec,servos,lipos) what is a good size for outdoors? Also brands to stay away from, brands to buy? Last time i was flying on a weekly basis we had the 72ghz transmitters with the clothes line pins to know who was on what lol. The 2.4ghz were there, just ridiculously expensive. The only brand i really remember is eflite.

Bipenut53

150cc
I run my crack yak an a 950 mah 3 cell setup with a 25 amp ESC. No need for a bec with that. As far as transmitter is concerned the DX-6i is a good transmitter. I use Spektrum myself and have had no trouble with it. I like the way the programming is set up in it. I know they are going to discontinue the 6i for the newer DX-6 I don't know a bunch about Futaba and less about JR. I have plenty of power with the 3 cell setup and I get 4-7 minute flights with the 950 mah battery.

wfahey415

3DRCF Moderator
Welcome [MENTION=4430]Grey[/MENTION],

All of the radio brands are very good quality. Just about everyone is using 2.4GHz now although it is not uncommon to find older radios in use. At our flying field you will probably see a 50/50 mix of Futaba and Spektrum radios. I went with Spektrum because that is what the local hobby shop had when I got back into the hobby. I fly mostly gas and use a DX9 radio. That allows me independent servos on control surfaces (flaps too) and an ignition kill. If you plan to stick with the park flyers like you mentioned in your post, then the DX6 might be all you need.

I have the Twisted Hobbys Crack Yak and am in the process of building the Veloxity. Very fun airplanes to fly and they don't break the bank.

I will caution you....this hobby is addicting and there is no 12 step process.

Oh, and one more thing. Since you are getting back into the hobby you will need to register with the FAA. It is a simple registration you can do online.

Welcome aboard!
Bill

Grey

New to GSN!
Thanks for the info guys. And i definitely remember [MENTION=3978]wfahey415[/MENTION] how addicting it was! I just finished all the upgrades i wanted to do on my motorcycle. My wife wont let me touch hers because she "likes the way it is", so its time to find something i can use my hands to make. So i figured why not get back into another passion that captivated me for years before.

Bipenut53

150cc
Yep! Good choice! There has been big steps in the last 10 years in the hobby. Have you narrowed down to what planes you are interested in?

Grey

New to GSN!
No, not yet. Ive been researching diffrent types of equipment today. Im trying to plan ahead for things that im eventually gonna want like fpv.