• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Viper-ST 100-120cc scratch build......it continues!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
OK, I have a few hours I can work today. I forgot to post these pics last night of the control horn block installation.

I've played with different methods of this and this is the strongest, lightest and easiest method that I have come up with for the CNC cut control horns (ARF style). This is basically semi-lite balsa blocks. I use this because it grabs the foaming glue the best out of all materials that I tried.

The blocks will be glued on four of the six sides so one side with the slots needs to be taped off. Put some tape and trim off so the slots are covered and most of the wood surface is showing. This keeps the foaming glue from filling up the slot.

First put tape on the cut-out control surface and trace the block where you want it. Typically I just trace it with my hobby knife so I get an exact fit. Then take several passes to carefully score through the sheeting laser. The depth of the exacto blade is perfect for the block depth, so cut around it carefully and make sure that the back cut is perpendicular to the surface of the balsa. If done correctly the block should fit nicely in the slot, the top should stick up just a hair and the front should angle out slightly as shown.

Install these with Gorilla quick glue. Use a spreader and spread a thin layer of glue on all the inside walls of the hole you just cut. Mist the block with water (don't soak, just mist) and insert it, wipe off any excess glue that comes out. Now securely tape it in place pushing the tape around the block to keep the glue from foaming out.....you want it to foam into the foam core. You also don't want it to push the block out.

Attachments

• _DSC0597.JPG
    _DSC0597.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 334
  • _DSC0598.JPG
    _DSC0598.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 333
  • _DSC0599.JPG
    _DSC0599.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 300
  • _DSC0600.JPG
    _DSC0600.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 314
  • _DSC0601.JPG
    _DSC0601.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 286
  • _DSC0602.JPG
    _DSC0602.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 304
  • _DSC0603.JPG
    _DSC0603.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 302
  • _DSC0604.JPG
    _DSC0604.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 298
  • _DSC0605.JPG
    _DSC0605.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 289
  • _DSC0607.JPG
    _DSC0607.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 305
  • _DSC0606.JPG
    _DSC0606.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 301

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
After about a half hour you can remove the tape and sand flush as shown here:

After the hinge stock is installed with wood glue this makes a very strong control mount. However VERY IMPORTANT.....you need to harden these blocks with thin foam safe CA glue before installing the control horns with epoxy. You can also harden the blocks after sanding flush and before gluing on the hinge stock if you like.

_DSC0611.JPG

Attachments

• _DSC0609.JPG
    _DSC0609.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 282
  • _DSC0610.JPG
    _DSC0610.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 244

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
I guess there's not much strength to gain (or needed?) if you went full depth....all the way to the other skin?