• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Viper 120cc ARF is HERE!!!!!

Rusty 73

100cc
Terry your servo matching video is very informative , this helped cleared the air about how I'm going to setup my 35% Extra . Now I just have to dig through my Jeti radio and the find the aileron curve to match the servos properly , a lot of very helpful info . Thanks for taking the time and explaining this procedure it was what I was dreading to do with the new PAU

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Terry your servo matching video is very informative , this helped cleared the air about how I'm going to setup my 35% Extra . Now I just have to dig through my Jeti radio and the find the aileron curve to match the servos properly , a lot of very helpful info . Thanks for taking the time and explaining this procedure it was what I was dreading to do with the new PAU

It's super easy. Most transmitters don't have the curve feature that the Spektrum and JR have but that little bit does not effect a lot and most people don't even know it's there so don't sweat it unless you see a serious spike somewhere between center and max travel.

Rusty 73

100cc
Just went back into the R/C group and the Jeti forum to find solutions to this servo matching and it looks like there won't be a problem

BalsaDust

So Terry I watched your video on servo matching. Very good info. Got a question for you though. The hangar 9 33% Edge540 I'm recovering for a buddy has dual aileron servos and dual rudder servos. Now the rudder servos he has each plugged into separate channels but the aileron servos he just has plugged into a Y-harness which I would assume is a bad idea. Pretty sure he uses a DX9 for his transmitter. What would be the best coarse of action on this? I would assume he should get a couple of the smart fly equalizers or I reckon I could split the ailerons in two like on the viper and he would just deal with the not perfectly matched travel. He doesn't do any 3D or precision flying just enjoys flying around.

Rusty 73

100cc
I had the same issue with the DX9 radio it isn't set up for multi servos per wing , so I bite the bullet last christmas and purchased a transmitter that will do everything and more than i require .
It was the best thing i have done with regards to my radio equipment , a good investment in a proper radio will save you a lot of frustrations and probable the Aircraft along with all it's equipment . Just my Thoughts on it :fist_pump:

js-rc

70cc twin V2
:frown_gif:
For a few more $$ you can get the Fromeco Amp Meter that can set 4 servos simultaneously: http://www.fromeco.org/Products/05FRCQCM/View attachment 48796

I will be ordering one when you get them in but can you tell me if I need it if I'm using the SmartFly outfit ? I'm waiting for spring to get it out in the garage & try to figure out matching the servos, something I'm still in the dark about !!
Thanks again, John !!

Oh, it's the SartFly that I don't know how to program yet !!

Last edited:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
So Terry I watched your video on servo matching. Very good info. Got a question for you though. The hangar 9 33% Edge540 I'm recovering for a buddy has dual aileron servos and dual rudder servos. Now the rudder servos he has each plugged into separate channels but the aileron servos he just has plugged into a Y-harness which I would assume is a bad idea. Pretty sure he uses a DX9 for his transmitter. What would be the best coarse of action on this? I would assume he should get a couple of the smart fly equalizers or I reckon I could split the ailerons in two like on the viper and he would just deal with the not perfectly matched travel. He doesn't do any 3D or precision flying just enjoys flying around.

I'm not completely understanding the question. In the Vipers I'm setting up I'm actually using 9ch power safe RX's, if you have a 9ch RX I'm sure you can just put each channel on it's own. I would suggest investing on one descent rudder servo to run a single. If he is not running HV, a single Savox 1230 is WAY more than enough and will simplify the system. They are CHEAP, as a matter of fact I'd sell you one CHEAP!. That is a very small sized 35% plane with a small rudder so no need for duals at all. If he is insistent on not buying new servos, then y harness the rudders servos together and mechanically match them perfectly so you can have the aileron servos on their own channel.

From there you only need 9ch.
Throttle 1
Rudder 1
Elevator 1
Elevator 1
Ail. 4
Ign. kill 1

So we don't derail the Viper thread we can continue this on your recover thread if that's OK.

Islandflyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
:frown_gif:

I will be ordering one when you get them in but can you tell me if I need it if I'm using the SmartFly outfit ? I'm waiting for spring to get it out in the garage & try to figure out matching the servos, something I'm still in the dark about !!
Thanks again, John !!

Oh, it's the SartFly that I don't know how to program yet !!
If you have the Smartfly with the programmable servo outputs, you will be able to program the servo centers and end points.
The Fromeco Amp Meter is a measuring device, not a programming device. It tells you how hard each servo is working at any given point. The process involves programming each servo output to minimize the Amp reading on each output. The meter in installed in series between the servos and the receiver (or Smarfly).

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
OK, I've never used a smart fly before because I don't fly Futaba or other radios that don't have a power safe RX for. Even if you are running a smart fly would you not do everything in the video I showed to mechanically match them BEFORE doing anything in the smart fly??

Can you massage the mid-points like I did in the end of my video using the smart fly? Just curious, like I say I've never touched one but the statement "you will be able to program the servo centers and end points" has me confused. Especially the programmed centers as that sounds like sub-trim. Just curious.