• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Vertigo build, any interest in a build?

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok did not know what a silhouette cameo was but looked it up interesting machine. Can you cut Ultracote in the machine. Or do you buy what they make specifically for the that machine.

-Rick-

100cc
Ok did not know what a silhouette cameo was but looked it up interesting machine. Can you cut Ultracote in the machine. Or do you buy what they make specifically for the that machine.
I have a friend that does car wraps with vinyl, he also does signs etc.
He gives me his left over vinyl which sometimes is enough to cover a plane. The silhouette will cut many different things. Even has a setting for balsa which I have never tried. It will cut covering but also something I have not done. I do everything in vinyl.

-Rick-

100cc
That is interesting how does car vinyl compare to Ultracote.
Vinyl is far heavier than anything we cover our planes with. I have heard of some people adding a pound to their planes if they get really carried away.
These on the tail on my raven were all cut out with the silhouette.
All were cut out on the silhouette using the scrap vinyl from my friend. Like 3D printing, it almost turns into a hobby on its own! Plus my wife has found uses for it as well !

20210418_182622.jpg 20210418_182704.jpg 20210418_182614.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Looks like a handy machine to have. You can really dress up the plane with a machine like that. When I see multiple colours is that several stickers over one another.

-Rick-

100cc
Yes, multiple colours on some. The Raven logo has three separate colours.

I haven't played much with this yet but if you get a very high resolution from the internet, lets say a watch, you can put it in the silhouette program and add register marks to in when you print it out on your ink jet printer. The silhouette program does work with your printer so you can resize, move it or delete parts of the image. After you print it out on a good peel and stick paper and give it coats of clear you can put it back in the silhouette. It will read the register marks and cut just the image. It is a fun machine!

TonyHallo

150cc
What Blue Bird servos are you using? I have a couple in a plane I never finished, from what I can tell they work well. BLS 31 maybe? And FrSky radio, been using FrSky for maybe 10 years, started with a module in my Futaba 9C when they would not repair my PCM receiver, bought the module and receiver for less than the cost of a new Futaba PCM receiver, never looked back. You need to play around a little more than the name brands but what you get is amazing for the cost. And the link is as good as anything else at the airfield.

-Rick-

100cc
What Blue Bird servos are you using? I have a couple in a plane I never finished, from what I can tell they work well. BLS 31 maybe? And FrSky radio, been using FrSky for maybe 10 years, started with a module in my Futaba 9C when they would not repair my PCM receiver, bought the module and receiver for less than the cost of a new Futaba PCM receiver, never looked back. You need to play around a little more than the name brands but what you get is amazing for the cost. And the link is as good as anything else at the airfield.
I'm using H50B's in my 70cc Raven. I have nothing bad to say about them but I'm not a good 3D pilot, I try but that's as far as it goes. As far as my style, smooth flying, they work great. I bought my first Blue Birds when hobby king started to carry them. I believe they were BLS 31's and I really liked them for the price they were.
I have been flying with FrSky since they came out with the x12s Horus. When I bought it people thought I was nuts for putting a toy grade radio in my planes! FrSky has come a long way! Right now I have preordered a new radio from FrSky called the x20s. It comes with a operating system called "ethos" It is supposed to be easier to use than open tx. Open tx is what I use on my horus, anything the top end radios will do it does.