• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Transport Canada cancels MAAC exemption for model flying

GSNadmin

Staff member
A sad time for Canadian model fliers and a lesson for model aircraft organisations around the world. The AMA, BMFA, SAMAA etc have to work hard to protect model flying, it was around before manned flight after all. I guess there are two paths available in Canada, MAAC start fighting properly with more people joining to help with relevance or just close it down.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
We have been talking about this here as well:

But TC, with the assist from NAV Canada whom was notified by MAAC that they had fields operating in restricted airspace. MAAC self disclosed this information and told membership to stop flying. It wasn't until after that happened when TC revoked the exception. To me it sounds like MAAC orchestrated these events into taking place rather than file for the paperwork to be legal. MAAC, TC, and NAVCanada have twiddled a cute little exception for MAAC, Not for just any organization like AMA/FAA did with creating the term "CBO" community Based organization in which AMA falls under. TC and NAVCanada need to act on and realize MAAC isn't the sovereign leadership for model aviation in Canada.

I'm calling BS MAAC, your recent "efforts" are not living up you're all about.
"MAAC is the non-profit organization that brings together model airplane enthusiasts of all kinds from across Canada." - MAAC

As for two paths available, I'd have to disagree. Get your RPAS license, step away from MAAC, and wait for alternatives to present themselves. Stand up for what you believe is right and safe to integrate model aviation correctly.

-Rick-

100cc
As for two paths available, I'd have to disagree. Get your RPAS license, step away from MAAC, and wait for alternatives to present themselves. Stand up for what you believe is right and safe to integrate model aviation correctly.
This is exactly what my club is doing in Ontario. Private insurance and RPAS basic. We are meeting again this morning to discuss.

-Rick-

100cc
I should add. We are not in a controlled zone, and I was mistaken saying we were within 2.5nm from a airport zone, we are more than 4. It is measured from the airport itself, not the airspace zone.

-Rick-

100cc
I have spoken with our zone director, he hinted that we should see more details before the end of March, and maybe be allowed to fly again if the club is not in any airspace and more than three nautical miles away from a aerodrome. But all members MUST have their RPAS basic.

In the meantime my executives and myself are waiting for two private insurance companies to provide quotes. They have all the details...

-Rick-

100cc
Good points but....

We are not covered with MAAC insurance even if we have the basic RPAS all members at our field, we are more than 4nm from any airport or aerodrone and not in restricted airspace. I spoke with our zone director to make sure this is the case. So with MAAC we have to wait for the SOC for our club before we can fly, and how long do we have to wait? Even he did not know.

We are planning on giving MAAC till the end of this month, if no SOC from them we go private insurance. We would rather stay with MAAC but the members feel we have no choice if we wish be fly this season.

My letter to the minister will be going out today.

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I have spoken with our zone director, he hinted that we should see more details before the end of March, and maybe be allowed to fly again if the club is not in any airspace and more than three nautical miles away from a aerodrome. But all members MUST have their RPAS basic.

In the meantime my executives and myself are waiting for two private insurance companies to provide quotes. They have all the details...
Would you please let me know the out come and also the insurance company names.

-Rick-

100cc
Would you please let me know the out come and also the insurance company names.
Sure Snoop. Once I have the cost of private I will PM you the name of the provider and price. We have twenty members in our club and so far I have heard the cost to each member is cheaper than MAAC.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Sure Snoop. Once I have the cost of private I will PM you the name of the provider and price. We have twenty members in our club and so far I have heard the cost to each member is cheaper than MAAC.
That sounds really promising thanks. spoke to 2 companies and they would only deal with commercial companies .