• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Torque 4016 Bearing Replacement

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Recently replaced bearings for the first time on the Torque 4016/500 mkII for my 60"EF Laser and Extra. The extra lost all power (bad solder joint on esc)and did a vertical header in the dirt from 50'. It sounded a little loose so bearings were in order.
Before starting put new bearings in the freezer for a couple hours.
After asking around the best practice seems to be remove the barrel by carefully removing the clip ring (I bought clip ring pliers). Then pull off the barrel. The windings section then goes in the oven at about 300 for about ten minutes. Careful when removing. Any heat shrink may need replacing if it gets a little too warm. I put mine on a piece of wood with a hole drilled out to support the housing but have enough room for the bearings to fall into. I used a punch and hammer to tap the edges til they fell out. Then put the cold bearings back in and give them a tap with a rubber mallet. Done! Reassemble and your good to go.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Awesome stuff Daren! Thanks for sharing this technique.

Thanks. I had to ask several people before Bandit and a guy from my club answered at the same time. Really simple but I didn't want to risk messing the nice motor up. It's in the motor forum now.