• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Too old to "HUCK"?

thurmma

150cc
I love to play around with the 3D flying because it keeps the heart rate up, at least mine as I am throwing around a chunk of change. I realize that my reaction time is not what it used to be, but I will continue to fly until I physically can't, whether it is 3D, IMAC or just burning holes in the sky. Flying gives me a sense of relaxation and panic at the same time :)

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I'm 53. I've learned more about flying model airplanes in the last 4 years, since I got back in and went to gas airplanes, then I did in all the years before. I'm a MUCH better pilot now. I still suck at 3D, but I love to try. It's exciting to learn something new! I get a great sense of accomplishment doing things that I couldn't do before. The two biggest thing to help me learn and get better were the sim and a good aerobatic gas airplane. I still have a long way to go to get to where I want to be, but I am getting better all the time. Would it have come easier to a younger me? Probably, but as long as I'm having fun, I can live with learning at a slower pace.

When I started flying in 1985 I can remember seeing the picture on the box for a Super Aeromaster. It was an Aeromaster flying knife edge under a limbo ribbon. I thought, "Man, someday I'd like to fly like that. I have the skill to do that now, just not the nads to get lower than 15' or so.

Late last fall I started flying Helicopters because it was something I always wanted to learn, just to say I can. I will never be a 3D heli pilot, those guys are just nuts, ;) but I really enjoy what I've learned so far and look forward to learning more.

At my old field we had a guy in his 70's that used to race Quickies and other things. The guy had the shakes, but as soon as he took off he was smooth as silk. It was pretty amazing
I may be a 53 year old on the outside, but I'm still a kid on the inside, and I'll keep it up as long as it's still fun and I can still do it.:brian-banana:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I'm 53. I've learned more about flying model airplanes in the last 4 years, since I got back in and went to gas airplanes, then I did in all the years before. I'm a MUCH better pilot now. I still suck at 3D, but I love to try. It's exciting to learn something new! I get a great sense of accomplishment doing things that I couldn't do before. The two biggest thing to help me learn and get better were the sim and a good aerobatic gas airplane. I still have a long way to go to get to where I want to be, but I am getting better all the time. Would it have come easier to a younger me? Probably, but as long as I'm having fun, I can live with learning at a slower pace.

When I started flying in 1985 I can remember seeing the picture on the box for a Super Aeromaster. It was an Aeromaster flying knife edge under a limbo ribbon. I thought, "Man, someday I'd like to fly like that. I have the skill to do that now, just not the nads to get lower than 15' or so.

Late last fall I started flying Helicopters because it was something I always wanted to learn, just to say I can. I will never be a 3D heli pilot, those guys are just nuts, ;) but I really enjoy what I've learned so far and look forward to learning more.

At my old field we had a guy in his 70's that used to race Quickies and other things. The guy had the shakes, but as soon as he took off he was smooth as silk. It was pretty amazing
I may be a 53 year old on the outside, but I'm still a kid on the inside, and I'll keep it up as long as it's still fun and I can still do it.:brian-banana:
Glad I posed this question. I feel inside that I am still a kid at heart and will never grow up. Well, at least I don't want to. I look around at many guys (and gals for that matter) my age or just slightly younger and older. It is like they have no zest or zing. Just the same ole "hum-drum" life. Now if it works for them, that is ok. Not for me to worry about. But much like you and many of all of you out there, I have learned sooo much since I started tossing my gas planes around. I felt I was a pretty good pilot. Now just how hard is it to fly circles and go up and down? Now with the aerobatic and 3D, I see myself accomplishing things I "ONLY" dreamt of being able to do. I watched videos and I watched other guys do things that astonished me. I never thought I could do some of those things. I remember the very first time, (and I refer to this "A LOT"!) when I brought my big 260 down and was within inches of touching the rudder on the runway. To a lot of you out there, this may not be all that big of a deal. My 260 is absolutely my baby. But when I did that, it was like, "WOW"!!! I can, "I DID" do it. There are many of you out there that inspire me. @Terryscustom coaxed me into "LOWER". And I was so surprised at how much easier it was for me to learn to trust and gain a confidence I never had. I appreciate that a lot. Will I ever be as good as @SupaTim, @Spats, @Geno, or sooo many others? Oh I would be fooling myself to think so. But, Now when I see someone do something, it's like, "I wanna learn how to do that". And I keep trying till I get it right. I've watched a few that are involved with the IMAC side of this hobby. I love...just love watching the precision, the accuracy and the grace these big monsters are capable of. And it just makes me want to sink my teeth into yet another realm of all this. I attempted a few maneuvers with my Sukhoi. Dang that thing is graceful and right on track. If I give IMAC a try, I think that will be the one I do it with.

Now at 55, I feel I am not at all too old to "HUCK". My plane beating days have only just begun.

Thanks everyone, for all your thoughts and opinions.

thurmma

150cc
Hey Rob,

I started flying IMAC for two reasons: 1. I needed to learn how to fly better :) it has helped out tremendously and 2. I love competition. The Extra is nice because it is so slick in the air, but watching the big Edge go through the routine is just eye candy. It is so graceful and smooth not to mention has a great presence in the air, that I would use it for the competition, but I can't get a clean stall out of it consistently, so I opt for the Extra.

I have the Edge setup on different modes so I can play around with it doing 3D if I want. I also have a spare set of wings and stabs for the Extra, which everyone says 3DHS created that plane to be a 3D monster, so I may put servos in the extra set of wings and stabs and set them up for 3D throws to see what happens.