• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

To Vent, or Not To Vent...

bob_nj

70cc twin V2
That is the question!

I'm finishing up a 50cc project that does not have the nice slotted plywood plate like the 3DHS planes
have aft of the pipe tunnel area.

Should I close off the tunnel in the front firewall area, and vent the fuse, both, or neither?

Thanks for any ideas
Bob

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
I take a different approach based around exit air for cooling. I always use the slotted vents for exit air to ensure as close to 2-1/2-3 times the inlet air. I prefer doing this rather than cutting the crap out of the cowl to get it. If the tunnel is there take advantage of it.

Bob,

FWIW, I did not close off the front and the covering blew out between the wing and the canopy. Ooops. (Aerobeez Edge 50cc) Have to say I didn't vent the fuse either.

I would close the top of the engine box and the tunnel. I used the aluminum louvers on the bottom of the cowl and have not had any overheating.

Tom

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I open all can tunnels and vent so I don't have to cut huge gaping holes in my canopy. A low pressure lip also helps. However since this is a single cylinder engine (assuming since you said 50cc project) that depends on if the engine sticks out into air flow. If it does, follow sleepy's recommendation.

bob_nj

70cc twin V2
Hey Reeseman 9

Do you still have that Edge?
That's exactly what I'm working on.

I'd like some feedback on it, CG etc.
It's getting close.

Thanks
Bob