• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Timber 110" Twin Build

RC80AK

50cc
Last weekend I did some power/thrust testing of the scorpion 4035-250 motors and hit a couple snags. I'm not getting near the thrust numbers listed, and the Graupner E-Props are experiencing some kind of blade resonance. Scorpion has some very elaborate charts for their smaller motors, and I've found them to be extremely accurate. The chart listed on site with the motor above appears to be fiction. ;)

Prop options are limited in counter rotating pairs. APC has a decent selection of electric "pusher" props, but I haven't found them to be very efficient.

I'll do a little more testing, but I'm considering going with four 4020-630. I have a lot of experience with this little motor and an interest in exploring the push/pull configuration with brushless motors. You lose some efficiency but it is a setup that is used in the heavy lift drones to achieve redundancy with minimal structure.

Time to do some testing to see what kind of thrust/noise this setup will generate!

Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 8.49.21 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 8.51.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 8.51.11 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 357

RC80AK

50cc
Success! I threw together a quick test stand out of some wood scraps, door hinge, and a luggage scale. The setup runs smooth. I'm getting around 13lbs static on a single motor, 23-24lbs on the pair inline. The Twinber is now Timber XL-4!I'll start building the quad motor mount tomorrow.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I would run 4 Edge Lite 100s. It would be nearly 400amp draw at full throttles on 5s
400 ams at 5 cell voltage is a lot off power. Don’t think you will need a lot of runway. You could probably take off on a picnic table.
So can I surmise that you will be running four 5000 mAh - 5 cell batteries.

Still waiting for the aluminum to show up so that I can start making up the new gear need it badly went flying yesterday and had to bend the gear back into shape again. Also waiting for a set of Airtops wheels 6 1/4 inch

Last edited: