• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Throttle servo?

tylerzx9r

100cc
Ok.... I have been learning a ton on this site, and loving every bit of it! As I see what others are doing, talking, and building, I have noticed that a bunch of guys out there are using good servos for all the surfaces but stick something really old, or weak in the position for the throttle! My question is what do you guys think should be used in this position? It is not like it needs a lot of torque, but does need some average speed. My thoughts are..... This quite possibly is the most abused servo in the entire airframe, unless you are full throttle from take off to landing! Most of us are On, OFF, or constantly going from somewhere in between. On my 40% I use a Hitec 7950, on my 35%, it is a Savox 1270. Some of you may think this is overkill, but I doubt I will ever have one fail. Why do I see a bunch of guys using servos like the Futaba 3004? We are dealing with constant vibration, and movement of adjustment all the time! Your thoughts please?

Bhughes

70cc twin V2
I use a savox 1252 crazy fast lol. And 2/56 rod with ball links. Vibration is the killer for throttle servos tight linkage imho prevents failures.

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
I agree with metal gear and decent speed, but it doesn't require high torque like the control surfaces do. It's a good place to save a little bit of money on the build and some weight by going with a smaller servo.

Bhughes

70cc twin V2
It cracks me up when I see high tourqe and super fast (.11-.14) servos on the control surfaces. Then a hitec 5645 .18 on the throttle lolol

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
I like Hitec 5665, not so much for speed or torque. It's HV, so no regs. I've got an Ultimate, still run nihm's in it, got a hitec 645 on it for throttle, just what I had on shelf when I built it.

BarracudaHockey

70cc twin V2
Speed isn't a big deal when you think about it, most any servo under .2 or so can yank a throttle arm around faster than an IC engine can react to throttle changes.

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
Yep, and you only need enough torque to overcome the return spring. A lot of guys remove those as well, which lessens the torque requirement even more. You can get away with a Hitech HS-82 MG mini-servo just fine, and save a few ounces while you are at it.

Sanglant

New to GSN!
I used to run a Hitec 5625, but as I started to think about it the throttle is just as important as any other moving surface so I use the same all around now. (usually 7955's)

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
It is every bit as important and should have a quality servo, but doesn't need a powerful one. Torque doesn't equate to quality or longevity, but it does equate to cost and weight.