• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

BalsaDust

And what did the voices tell you to build??? I'm hoping for a big O'l taildragger with bush tires.:D

image.jpeg

While it will be a tail dragger it won't have bush tires. Will look a lot like this just a different covering scheme. Though I will say the new carbon cub from horizon looks pretty sweet and would prolly be tons of fun.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
@cbarnes0061 you seem to be slab guru on slab planes. Have a DA 50 laying in a draw calling to me build a plane for me. Would you by any chance have slab drawing for this size engine or what would you recommend.

BalsaDust

@cbarnes0061 you seem to be slab guru on slab planes. Have a DA 50 laying in a draw calling to me build a plane for me. Would you by any chance have slab drawing for this size engine or what would you recommend.

I have been working with a buddy on and off on a 50cc slab but it's no where near ready. As far as kits though WWRC sells a few different kits. I would recommend this one right here. Bit pricey but it's a quality kit and flys awesome. The green and black one belongs to @kwj48 and I have flown it a couple times. Only gripe with it really is the amount of tail twist when rolling but it's hard to get rid of all that on a slab of this size.
http://www.wrongwayrc.com/EE-50cc

Robotech

70cc twin V2
The wife's Grandmother died yesterday so I haven't had too much shop time. I did manage to test fit the cowl and stripe it and get the tail wheel assy. mounted and working. My gaskets came in from DA so a little motor work is in my near future.

20160305_112138.jpg
20160305_112122.jpg

Robotech

70cc twin V2
I got the LG installed. I'm going to wait until almost last to put on the wheel pants so I don't beat them up in the shop. I installed the tank and ran a metal line out for the vent and another to the engine. I like to use metal lines as much as possible and then use a small piece of tubing to make the connections. It's lighter and requires less maintenance. I also like having the metal tubing exiting the plane for the vent because it makes attaching a capture tank easier.

The grandson kept giving me the eye for telling him to hold on a minute while I finish this and that. He's pumped to practice for the upcoming Little League season. So, break time.

20160306_130734.jpg
20160306_130800.jpg
20160306_131729.jpg
20160306_131741.jpg

Robotech

70cc twin V2
Headers and pipes installed. Reeds replaced along with all the associated gaskets. Throttle hooked up and adjusted. Wheels and wheel pants mounted. I use 5" Sullivan Skylites and have the wheel pants raised because I fly off some rough fields. I need to open some exit air in the bottom cowling and swap out the aileron servos then it's time to fly. The weather forecast is rain for 5 days straight so it will probably be this coming weekend.

20160306_185908.jpg
20160306_220245.jpg
20160306_220258.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Did some experimenting to day. Never cut threads into wood did no like it and always found away around it. But this time I did not have a choice with the styrofoam wing. So did some experiments and found out the following with bass wood mostly only used oak before.
Drilled and taped bass wood with a 1/4-20 tap and found out the following. Taped 1/4 beep and a plastic screw will pull the threads out. Taped 1/2 and it will pull threads out not all the time. But the final solution is that the bass wood needs to be 3/4 inch thick to hold properly. Now this was drilled and taped then soaked with thin CA twice and then retaped. Ran a 1/4-20 steel bolt into it 3/4 inch long bolt and kept tightening it. Well it just pulled the head of the bolt into the wood until the wrench would not turn it. Turned the bolt out and the threads are ok. See attached file.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 241