• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
What is the thickness of the sheeting? And will this be glassed, film covered, or other?
The sheeting is 1/16 “ . I would like to do Stits cover and paint but right now do not have the facilities, so it will be film covered.
The wiring job looks good.will be ready to fly soon.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Not sure how many hours between yesterday and today, but quite a few.
Anyway, the wiring is finished, and I’m actually pleased with it this time.
Not perfect by any means, but much better than before.

When making your poly snake skin sheathing, after cutting to length I like to lightly burn the edges with a torch, it will keep the ends from unraveling. Then I use marine/adhesive lined heat shrink to keep the ends from vibrating into the wiring and it helps stick it in place.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
The stabilizers are sheeted on all the sides and preliminary sanding is done. Now the hinging needs to be done, will do six hinges per elevator.
268380B9-498B-40BF-B83E-8AF5D2FD2D08.jpeg
EE76012C-262E-47F0-9999-C65817E15DB6.jpeg

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
When making your poly snake skin sheathing, after cutting to length I like to lightly burn the edges with a torch, it will keep the ends from unraveling. Then I use marine/adhesive lined heat shrink to keep the ends from vibrating into the wiring and it helps stick it in place.
I use normal heat shrink on most of it and marine on anything that gets handled like aileron extensions.
20200524_151942.jpg

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Finally getting my mini dart DLG ready. It’s only taken YEARS. So much head scratching and issues (my fault). Made a new tail even! Got my programming figured put for flaperons, just need to add some ballast to the nose. Without ballast she’s 4.85oz. Not too bad for a glass foam core 1m glider. It’s lighter than my Alula. I think I’m going to need 1/2oz on the nose... thanks to my home made tail. Should be a fun first DLG regardless. Not used to NOT having any space to put anything. Holy smokes it’s tight in there. Even soldered my servos to heat shrunken Rx. Almost flight ready!

7F15264F-980B-4853-98F4-2EBF147432DE.jpeg AFEBE0E6-13DD-4712-914C-B7280A5CD7DD.jpeg

BalsaDust

Finally getting my mini dart DLG ready. It’s only taken YEARS. So much head scratching and issues (my fault). Made a new tail even! Got my programming figured put for flaperons, just need to add some ballast to the nose. Without ballast she’s 4.85oz. Not too bad for a glass foam core 1m glider. It’s lighter than my Alula. I think I’m going to need 1/2oz on the nose... thanks to my home made tail. Should be a fun first DLG regardless. Not used to NOT having any space to put anything. Holy smokes it’s tight in there. Even soldered my servos to heat shrunken Rx. Almost flight ready!

View attachment 116101 View attachment 116102

Yes 1M are really tight mind you a 1.5 doesnt give you much more room. Thats a decent weight for a 1M but they get lighter. The 1M Hawk I had was just shy of 120 grams.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Got out to fly it! Need to shim the horizontal and add more weight to the nose. Amazed how much penetration it has during a throw wow. Hard to tell just how it handled because it was pretty tail heavy. My flying buddy has a hawk as well and his was heavier than mine he said.. before adding ballast LOL It was 150g with ballast and I have to add a lot more.
D854AEE0-88E9-4E73-94CE-A202574C28C0.jpeg

Last edited: