• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Yup. I see myself towing up my buddies big ass scale glider then after the release just doing silly 3D stuff while he is catching thermals.

With all youre probro profiles in the 20cc range... which engine is the go to for you guys?

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I still like just a good old dle20 and for that TBM I would go with the rear exhaust version. Some of the probros are in love the the OS 22. I have flown it and yes it makes a little more power but not worth the extra cost IMHO.

I hear ya. My VVRC 21 hub seems a little on the loose side when warmed up. The DLE 20 has been around for a while... Seems like a solid choice, I think the rear exhaust is known to be louder and maybe a little close to the carb from what I hear. I like keeping the noise down on my float planes so it doesn't annoy anyone else having a good time on the lake. Can you hand start them okay? I've needed to convince my VVRC with an electric starter.
The OS engines are expensive for sure, I think they are pretty light which was always sought after. I've heard the mid range was hard to tune with the OS carb. Not sure how accurate that is anymore.

BalsaDust

On the OS 22 it tunes just fine. I say rear exhaust for the tbm just for how narrow the cowl is. From the one my buddy has I feel the side of the cowl would need to be cut to even get a Pitts style muffler on it but I could be wrong. I have yet to own one but all my Probro buddies that have had both dle and the vvrc 20 not sure on the 21 say the vvrc makes a little better power. Now both dle20’s I had you could hand start them but the first start of the day was going to be a pain so I always hit them with the Electric starter on the first start.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
On the OS 22 it tunes just fine. I say rear exhaust for the tbm just for how narrow the cowl is. From the one my buddy has I feel the side of the cowl would need to be cut to even get a Pitts style muffler on it but I could be wrong. I have yet to own one but all my Probro buddies that have had both dle and the vvrc 20 not sure on the 21 say the vvrc makes a little better power. Now both dle20’s I had you could hand start them but the first start of the day was going to be a pain so I always hit them with the Electric starter on the first start.

Okay, Good to know. Thanks

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
sheeted the underside of my turbo otter. I needed some 3/32 balsa and to design a way to sheet the bottom so I could remove the gear and add floats at some point, also the wing strut attach points - I may add an aluminum strip and box in the gap in later... But the beauty of all of this was I scored all that balsa. SWEET, it's all sheeted now. I was thinking to myself man... if I only had a balsa piece that was 1/8" wider.... WHY YES I DO!!! ha ha ha!!! I have never in my life had this much access to balsa. now I need to make a hatch for the ESC/motor wire access. I'm starting to enjoy building again fellas, I really just needed some balsa motivation.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
It may be NIB, but it's close to 20 years old and probably won't program much these days with us discontinuing all of the old 5xxx series servos. The latest iteration is the HFP-30.

Good to know. Sounds like its just a really big servo tester at this point.... which I dont have... ha ha

BalsaDust

This should be fun.
10AB950B-B38A-400C-9B10-4BF21E603618.jpeg
2C016BF6-DF74-456D-A826-A9CFCC81311C.jpeg
EC84ACF9-85EF-4F77-919E-4B1815BBE34B.jpeg